Chapter 5: Ivory

TIP: To say Orias, just take the name Tobias, but replace the "Tob" with "Or"

Neither I nor Ziko slept on the plane, too engrossed in the small luxuries, one including the unlimited selection of in demand movies. I couldn't remember the last time I'd watched something that wasn't for children. And my current pick, Fifty Shades of Grey, was undoubtedly not for those virtuous, pure minds. I'd angled the screen wisely, leaving no chance for Ziko to see what exactly I'd chosen over his innocent recommendation.

So far, there was no reason for me to regret the decision. A smile tugged at my lips as the intense music had died down, enough to balance out the tender moment.

But it wasn't long before I forcefully returned my face to the rock hard mask I sought out when in the presence of strangers. The precise positions of my features communicated one statement, loud and clear: do not mess with me. It had become a comfort, the way newcomers would turn away from me, the way males would turn away from the otherworldly beauty granted to me after the Sacrament. That same beauty I found no use for now.

A fake barfing noise penetrating through to my ears, heckling, more than I'd like to admit. I adjusted my headphones, the sound still noticeable, even with the thick material. Then, a warm arm pressed against mine. My brows rose as I turned my head, taking in the way Ziko's eyes were fixed on my screen where the two characters were wrapped in a passionate embrace. I instantly splayed a hand outward, covering the image, though it was of no inappropriateness, both characters dressed from head to toe.

"Ziko!"

He straightened back into his seat, eyes wide, knowing he'd been caught.

"I just saw a little, I swear!" he exclaimed, his Ls and Rs sounding like Ws.

I groaned in response, not taking my hand off of the screen, before switching it off, recognizing that I could no longer continue without feeling paranoid.

I'd ceased checking the map every few minutes. To my amazement, time had gone by faster afterwards. Sooner than I'd thought, an announcement blared through the system, informing passengers of landing procedures.

In response, I snuck a peek to the male sitting to my right. He was still fast asleep, chest moving in a steady rhythm, face set in a tranquil expression. My eyes roamed over his tousled auburn hair, captivating features, reviving the image of him in my mind. We hadn't spoken a word beyond that first conversation. The awkwardness still remained, more from my side than anything. I couldn't freely trust a man this fast, if even at all; it was impossible.

My gaze shifted to the window a foot away from his head, and I watched as we were steered towards the airport, the plane shaking violently at every bump. And even with the bothersome movements, our guide had not awaken.

"Lick his ear," Ziko whispered feverishly when he noticed me eyeing the sleeping human male.

"No," my reply was instant. I shuddered, imagining the outcome. "Hey," I whispered instead, tapping his knee with one finger. My pathetic attempt did nothing to rouse him.

Ziko grumbled at my dawdling before gently shaking our companion awake.

His eyes, a warm hue of golden bronze, fell on me...then closed again. He leaned forward, sluggishly rubbing a hand across his face. Exhaustion marred his every move, especially as he stood with a groan, quickly stepping into the aisle. His muscles rippled, lifting our bags onto the ground, handing Ziko his small backpack before giving me a quick once over. I grabbed the handle he held out to me, careful not to make contact.

"Good to go?" his voice was hoarse, face drooping from lack of sleep. I nodded, taking Ziko's hand.

It was a long walk out, but, thankfully, short ride to our place.