13. storytime

"So you were 'monsterating'?" Donghyuck asked.

We were laying there in my bed. The tv off, the lights off. Only my blue fairy lights that hung around my bed were on. He was facing me and I was facing him. And we just talked about nothing, but everything at the same time.

"I got my period really late, and that was the first time I got it and Yeon was so confused. He was only 4. I don't know how he still remembers it." I told him, chuckling slightly so I wasn't too loud.

"When's your dad getting home? Does he work late shifts or something?" he asked.

"He doesn't."

"Doesn't work late shifts?"

"No. Doesn't come home. He-" I turned to lay on my back, "-hasn't in a while."

"Oh. I'm sorry for asking anything." He apologized. He laid on his back too.

"Don't be. It doesn't bother me. Do you wanna know about him?" I asked.

At this point, I was so numb by my dad leaving that it didn't hurt to talk about it anymore. Donghyuck nodded.

"Alright. Well he's pretty fat. He was when I last saw him." I chuckled, which caused Donghyuck to chuckle a bit too.

"Yeah, and he's got a really weird sense of humor. He used to be really cool until I learned some things about him." I gulped. Not because I would cry, but because I was ashamed of him. Donghyuck slipped his hand in mine under the covers.

"You don't have to keep talking about him." He told me.

"No, I don't really get a chance to talk about it. And I trust you."

Donghyuck nodded.

"So, when I was about 6 or 7, my mom and dad started to argue a lot. And I didn't know why, but I learned a little later on, my dad had a drug problem. He used to tell me it was 'medicine to make daddy feel better', but I knew better when I got older. Then Yeon was born. Not long after his addiction became worse. Once I turned about 12, I noticed my dad used to go out a lot and he wouldn't come back for days at a time. I didn't understand why at first, but I realized when he had me answer a text message back for him while he was driving. It was from another woman. At first I thought it was a wrong number or just a misunderstanding, but I scrolled up and saw nude pictures of her and my dad calling her sexy and stuff. I don't know. I loved my dad. A lot. But I don't think I can ever forgive him for being so selfish."

I felt Donghyuck's arms wrap around me.

"Hey. I'm okay." I rubbed his arm as he rested his head on my shoulder.

"If you're not, that's okay too." He told me.

I felt a tear well in the corner of my eye. "It's not that it hurt me. It hurt more seeing my mom and Yeon after he left. Knowing he hurt them the way he did-" A tear fell down my cheek, "-it makes me sick."

"They have you though. The kindest, most caring girl I've ever met. As much as you like to act like you don't care about anything, I see it in you. You really have a heart of gold Minji. I don't know why you hide it." He placed a kiss on my cheek.

I turned so now we were facing each other once again. He still held me close. I planted a kiss on his nose and gave him a small smile to say thank you for letting me talk about it. He nodded and smiled back to say you're welcome.

"I'm gonna tell you a little story." He said.

"A story?"

"It's about a little boy. Let's call him-" He paused for a moment. "-Monkey Boy." I smiled.

"Monkey Boy was about 7, when his parents gave him the best birthday gift he could ever ask for."

"What was it? A unicorn plush?" I asked, joking with him.

"Close-" He swallowed. "It was a little sister."

I was a little shocked at his response. The fairy lights only lit up his face a little bit, but I could see his eyes were a little glassy.

"You don't have to talk about it." I told him.

"No. This is a story Minji. I want to finish it." He started toying with my hair and made eye contact as he spoke. "Okay, so Monkey Boy's little sister was born, we'll call her Princess Hae. Short for Haeyoung. Now Monkey Boy loved Princess Hae with all his heart. They played video games together. She loved playing Mario Kart. Her favorite character was Toad. And Monkey Boy would always let her win. And he would drive her to new places he found too. He went camping with his two friends, Let's call them Lee 2 and Lee 3. And they came across this huge rock. So Monkey Boy took Princess Hae there. And she loved it. It became her favorite place. They used to play little pranks on their parents too. Princess Hae said she wanted to become a world class prankster. One night there was a storm, so Monkey Boy made Princess Hae count all his freckles until the thunder and lightning stopped. Making her recount them to buy him time. They watched anime together and Princess Hae begged for her brother to start adding 'chan' at the end of her name cause she thought it sounded cuter. 'Okay Hae-chan, whatever makes you happy'"

I felt myself starting to tear.

"One day. All of a sudden Princess Hae got sick. Really sick. So sick she had to stay in the hospital for a while. They called it Leukemia. They had to cut all of her hair. She was really upset about that, but I pro- Monkey Boy promised her she was still the most beautiful little girl in the world. He missed playing with her hair sometimes though. He missed her in general. But she started getting better. She would be able to return home soon. So Monkey Boy promised to give her a room fit for a real princess when she came back. He put it all together with Lee 2 and 3 while Princess Hae was at another chemo session. She was only scheduled to stay at the hospital for another few weeks and then she'd be cleared to come back home with the proper care and medication. Monkey Boy was so excited. But one day, a few days after the room was completely finished, they found out the latest chemo session wasn't working for her, so they decided to stop the chemo. She was only 7."

Donghyuck had a tear roll down his cheek. I had tears rolling down my face as well.

"So Monkey Boy continued pranking for Princess Hae while he was in high school. He even had everyone start calling him Haechan, because just because she was gone, doesn't mean she would be forgotten. Monkey Boy would never let that happen. But wait, this story has a happy ending. I promise."

I sniffled, wiping away my tears.

Donghyuck pulled me even closer. My head was resting under his chin now.

"Monkey Boy met another princess. Princess Minji. And she was kind of scary at first, but he learned that she was so kind. And so beautiful. And she reminded him so much of Haeyoung. So he made a promise to himself. To do whatever he could to make sure nothing or no one could take Princess Minji away from him. Not again." He pulled his face away a bit so he could look at me. "Do you think she'll stay?" he asked.

I leaned my head up and kissed him. Kissed him like there was no tomorrow. And he kissed back. I felt his hand run through my hair and make its way to my lower back. He pulled me even closer, not allowing any space between us. I pulled away from the kiss.

"She definitely will."

----------

heyhey. I was highkey in my feels tonight so i wrote a sad chapter.

lol ngl i cried rereading it. but enjoy if you like sad dramatic shit lol.

-mina