Chapter 29 - Access Denied

Finally, after a month of agonizing wait, it's the day of our first trip to Hogsmeade. I can't wait to go, and trust me, this is coming from someone who's lived right next door for most of my life, but Dad insisted that I wait until third year to go. Mmph. Whatever.

I do feel awful for Harry though. He doesn't have anyone at home to sign his pass because GOD FORBID THE DURSLEY'S DO SOMETHING THAT RESEMBLES THE SLIGHTEST BIT OF KINDNESS OR DECENCY. McGonagall's collecting passes in the front courtyard, where a small crowd of 3-7th years eagerly await to go to Hogsmeade. McGonagall's eyes snap up to me as the four of us approach the crowd.

"Miss Dumbledore, May I see you over here for a moment?" She calls. This can't be good. I never get called out by a teacher unless their relaying some news Dad has for me.

"I'll be right back." I mutter, speed walking over to McGonagall. "Yes Madame McGonagall?" I say sarcastically, something only I can get away, as I've technically lived with her for a good seven or eight years.

She sighs, obviously not in the mood. "I'm sorry Miss Dumbledore, but your father has requested for you not to enter Hogsmead until further notice."

"What? No! But-" She cuts me off.

"I'm sorry, but that's what your father said, I have no authority when it comes to your personal life. I suggest you go visit your father if it means that much to you." I'm about to walk away when she adds, "Oh, but not right now, he has a conference with the Minister of Magic."

I sigh, blowing a strand of hair out of my face irritably. "He always does. I swear the Minister doesn't know how to his damn job." McGonagall doesn't even bother to reprimand me - she just smiles dryly.

"Run along now." She sighs, turning to a group of Ravenclaw third years turning in their passes.

"Have fun in Hogsmeade." I grumble to Hermione and Ron as I approach.

"Huh? You're not going?" Hermione asks. I shake my head.

"Appearently "my father has requested for me not to enter Hogsmead until further notice."" I quote McGonagall. "But hey, at least Harry won't be alone." I add, to look on the bright side.

Harry grins, and Hermione nudges Ron and raises her eyebrows. Those two are really cute together.

"All third years over here!" McGonagall calls. Hermione and Ron bid us goodbye, promise to bring us back some sweets, and leave.

"So, where to? And no, you cant say studying." Harry adds as we walk back into the castle.

"Why would I say studying?" I ask, feigning disgust. "I'm not Hermione."

Harry shrugs. "I don't know, you two have been in the library a lot over the last month."

"Oh yeah," I say. "That was for...other reasons." Some that may or may not involve our current Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher.

"Sounds suspicious." Harry says, smiling softly.

"Yeah, whatever." Is my brilliant comeback, making Harry snicker. I slap him lightly in the shoulder as we both laugh at our stupid antics.

"Okay, um, want to go to the lake?" I ask. Harry raises an eyebrow.

"You always want to go to the lake." He says, smirking.

"I know, and we never go, so come on!" Its truly beautiful outside. Fall is my favorite season. Both because my birthday is in November, and all the leaves change to gorgeous colors... before they die. We can gloss over that part though. A soft breeze blows across the courtyard, and after some walking, we settle ourselves under a tree and watch the giant squid glide around the lake, disrupting its otherwise glassy and still surface.