•sixteen•

Mahira froze as Fawad's low husky voice reached her ears. Like a deer in headlights, she slowly turned around to face him and was surprised to find a cold expression residing on his features.

"I...I'm sorry..," Mahira struggled for words, "I didn't mean to intrude."

"This level is out of bounds," The hostility in his eyes cut her, "For everyone."

"I...-."

"Leave," He snapped.

Mahira staggered back. For the first time since she had met Fawad, she didn't feel angry at him but rather....hurt?

Without a word, she hurriedly climbed down the winding stairs and left through the giant mahogany doors. Her eyes felt heavy and her face hot against the coldness outside.

Wrapping her arms around herself, she rushed back to her room, her wobbly legs carrying her only that far.

As she closed her bedroom door behind her, she finally allowed herself to breathe. Without changing, she flopped on the bed, her mind rapidly seeking explanations for Fawad's behaviour.

She could only come to one conclusion. It was true that he had some beef with Zaroon, as their earlier encounter had shown, but he was also somehow angry at her. Maybe because Fawad had disliked her spending time with him. And if that was the case, then a bigger question still remained unanswered: why?

Whatever Fawad's reasons, his bitterness had made Mahira really upset and she had barely held herself together in front of him. Now that she was finally coming to see him in a new light, he had ruined everything with his words.

Mahira scoffed at her own naivety at believing that he was something more than the arrogant and presumptuous man that he actually was.

Turning on her side, she willed sleep to come to her.

The Manzil bustled with activity the next morning. The wedding events were to begin from today and with limited time on their hands, everyone was busy making arrangements.

With nothing to do, Mahira had offered to collect Zoe's bridal dresses from the TCS office located in the district. Due to some delays, they were only reaching today, on the day of her Mayoun.

She stood waiting for the driver in the foyer when Naureen came rushing through the kitchen.

"Everything's going dreadfully awry today," She cried, her face red with panic, "The driver's down with a fever."

Mahira couldn't really grasp the gravity of the situation, "I'm sure we can manage without a driver. Just give me the directions and I'll get it-."

She had barely spoken the words when she caught sight of Fawad descending the staircase.

Naureen too had seen him, "Oh Fawad, my love. You're right on time," She beckoned him over.

Mahira clenched her fists, dreading what was to come next. As Fawad came to stand in front of her, she lowered her gaze, not wanting to look at him.

"I'm sure you've heard that the driver's sick."

"No, I wasn't aware," He shrugged nonchalantly.