Lollipop

Yuki sighed as she picked at her school lunch, staring at her adopted brother's back as his leagues of followers surrounded him at an overstuffed circular table in the courtyard just outside the cafeteria.

It was nearing the third year since she had fallen into the silver haired prefect's shadow- since Zero had changed.

Before they had entered school he had been gruff, sharp, and constantly grumpy but then, just before school term started and his birthday had just passed, she'd seen a sharp shift- where once only deadly glares and icy remarks had been now lay smirks that invited mischief and smooth invitations delivered with a snake-like charm.

She hadn't seen how his freshman year went because he was a year above her but she could only imagine as she and their adoptive father had often found him in his room or dorm room with various companions in various states of undress.

A year later she entered school and quickly realized her adoptive brother held the hearts of the whole student body in his hands- well, maybe not the Night Class, but the Day Class frequently clung to him with an unnatural fervor.

"Staring at Kiryu-kun again, Yuki-chan?" Yori teased beside her and Yuki dropped her spoon in shock, splattering mashed potatoes across her uniform tie.

She blushed and made to deny but thought better- she knew well that she was an open book to most people.

"Don't worry, Yuki-chan. They might have his attention during school hours, but you get to spend the nights with him." Yori comforted with a teasing quirk of her lips and Yuki blushed furiously.

"Nngh, Yori-chan! Don't say that so loud!" She paused, grumbling, "I still have bruises from when Kimiko-senpai and her gang cornered me."

Yori shrugged, "I don't know why you didn't hit them back, according to Kiryu-kun they like to be spanked."

Yuki gaped at the slightly taller blond who had her nose in a school textbook across from her and was only pulled away as uproarious laughter came from the courtyard through the door which lay cracked slightly open.

Yuki sighed, "I just miss how it was before..."

She frowned, her brows furrowing as she chided herself for her comment.

She should be happy for Zero! He had friends now, and he was happy! Sure, she wasn't his only friend any more and his attention was now taken up by others, but she was still the only person he would make time for.

Yori hummed and Yuki sighed, casting her eyes down at her forgotten meal as the lunch bell rang, summoning the Day Class back to their classes.

She followed Yori to their history class after dumping her food, her eyes trained on Zero as he stood and was followed by his groupies as he left in the opposite direction for his junior level calculus class.

He caught her gaze briefly as he cocked his head to the side, tossing her a wave and a grin as he left, making the girls in front of Yuki swoon like it was for them.

She sighed- at least she would have him for prefect duties.

Classes passed uneventfully and the hours before dusk were spent with her head in her school books as Yori helped her with her physics homework in their shared dorm room.

As usual, she was running late as she rushed for the Night Class gates, righting her prefect band as she was greeted by a swarm of screaming Day Class girls (and a few boys) as they flooded the gates (as usual, only on her side as Zero's side was made up of his fans who only came to stare at him until they were forced back to their dorms till dawn).