Chapter Six

Take It As You Leave It

"What?" Zero blinked at Yuki, letting his arm flop and straighted himself out.

"You heard me. I-Its fine."

"Yuki I cant." Zero backed away and sat on his bed.

"Zero it would be fine. I'm okay with it. It's not like it's the fir- " Zero looked up at Yuki as if she had told him about an annoying chore he would have to do. "Never mind." Yuki plopped herself next to Zero. She breathed in to say something.

"I just... " Zero started. "What if I hurt you? Like last time?! Or- or if I turn you? Or, god forbid, kill you?!"

"Zero. You won't kill me by licking my finger." Yuki placed her hand on his shoulder.

Zero swerved his head and took Yukis hand off his shoulder. "Yeah but- "

"I trust you." Yuki said with no hesitation. She took the dagger from her side and sliced her finger. She inhaled through her teeth.

Zero slightly breathed in, which he realized was a bad idea because the aroma was killing him. He looked away. "Yuki I... " Zero turned to look at her but the bloody finger was so close to his face his head jerked back. He took her hand and moved it away.

"Zero. You've gone four years without anything. And when vampires go with- "

"If I take the blood will you stop lecturing me about my own species?" Zero raised a brow.

"Yes." Yuki let out a small laugh. Zero took a regrettable sigh and moved Yukis hand back to his face. He stared at the blanket behind Yuki. "Zero?" His eyes snapped to Yuki. "Youve been holding my hand for a while..." Zero looked over at the streak of blood that had hit his hand. He brought Yukis had closer to his mouth and, with hesitation, licked up to the cut in Yukis finger. Zero closed his mouth on her finger, careful to not pierce her pale flesh, no matter how badly he wanted to. He clutched onto her hand and sharply breathed in as his eyes turned to a glowing crimson.

Yuki stared at the starving silver haired vampire, yet for reasons she couldnt explain, she felt attachment. Wasnt she supposed to fear him? Wasnt she supposed to yank her hand back from the beast that seemed to be sucking out too much by now? But no, she invited him to drink her dry with her eyes that bore into his crimson ones. Zero let go of her hand and removed her finger from his mouth. "Th- thank you..." he said, wiping his mouth. 

"Huh? Oh! No problem!"

"My classmates have probably caught on to your scent. Here." Zero nelt down to her hand and gently placed the wound on his lips. 

"Ze- " Yuki stared at the glowing lavendar orb around her hand and watched him retract from her and give a smirk. 

"There. Now your brother wont bother you." 

"How did you- "

"Purebloods trick... you should probably..." Zero looked over at the door. 

"Yeah." Yuki stood up and walked backward towards the door and tripped on the carpet. Zero raced over and caught her hand. He yanked her up and she smacked into his chest. "Sorry... I- I'm such a klutz." Yuki left the room, her face burning with embarrassment.

Zero sighed and smirked. He flopped back on his bed, and fr the first time in many years, slept soundly.

___X___

   Yuki finally reached her dorm room and closed the door behind her, leaning back on it, dropping her satchel on the ground. With a big sigh she opened her eyes and gasped as the figure of her brother scared and relieved her simultaneously. She gripped her chest. "For god sake Kaname. Warn a girl!" Yuki walked over to her closet and took her coat off, she put her uniform coat in the closet and turned around to see Kaname closer to her and checking her neck and arms for bite marks. Yuki yanked her arm away. "I didnt get bit by him Kaname..." She pushed him aside and sat on her bed. "...why are you here? Just to see if Ive been turned?"

Kaname sighed and sat beside Yuki. "I apologize. I just, dont want what happened to mother and father to happen to you." 

"It wont. Zero isnt like that anyway."

Kaname gave a worried glance at Yuki. "If my little sister trusts this Vampire, then I guess I can tolerate it." Yuki gave him a weak punch in the arm. "Ok, ok, him. " Kaname stood up and ruffled Yukis hair. 

"Good night. Brother."

"Good night." He replied as he closed the door. 

___X___

"I dont know why you insist on being a guardian Zero... but do what you may, you must attend some sort of class." Ichiru complained as he stood at Zeros door. 

Zero layed on his bed with a book above his head as he held it. He moved it from his face and looked down at his brother. "I know I still need an education, I get homework and text books from Aidou and attend online classes regarding human standard education. Im not an idiot." Zero waved the book around as he talked and returned it to his face. 

Ichiru sighed. "I dont see why you do all this work for a few hours with that Kuran girl. Youll get bored at some point and move on. As we all do. Human lives are fleeting and ours are infinite. This is only something to keep you busy, and im fine with it. Gives me less work anyhow." Ichiru waved his hand as he turned.

Zero made a 'tch' sound and was suddenly grasping his brothers throat. "Do not speak of Yuki that way! She...is much more then some hobby." His grip loosened and Ichiru smacked his brothers hand away and left. 

"I hope what youre trying to protect, doesnt only cause you more pain." The front doors of the dorm slammed. Leaving the distant sound of screaming day class girls and the silence of the mood dorm. 

Zero walked to his desk and picked up the guardian sash placed there by Yuki. "ah! I almost forgot! Your sash. See you tomorrow, disciplinary committee member!"Zero sighed and put it on. He then walked out to see Yuki and Kaname standing alone in front of the gates. He paid no attention to Kanames cold demeanor with crossed arms. He only saw Yuki, her long hair billowing in the wind as she pointed at Kaname, telling him off about something. Yuki turned her head to Zero and her face turned to happiness as she greeted Zero. "Good evening Zero!"