Chapter Sixty-Five

Standing on The Edge

After the Kriyu manor got attacked, the hunters and two purebloods retreated back to the Association for a more rigorous protection on the brothers. While Zero stay cooped up in a cell,  Ichiru spent his time in a spear room, and Yuki stayed in Kaiens new office, helping him with setting up and taking care of small matters. Ichiru entered Kaiens office. "President Cross." He acknowledged.
   "Ichiru, how may I help you?"
   "President Cross, do we really need a new parent... new weapons? To the extent of sacrificing someone?" Ichiru sighed as he walked up to the desk.
   "..."
   "Say something, please."
   "Uh, Ichiru? Is it?" Ichiru turned around to a large hunter, his face was gruff and his thin blond hair came to his bulk shoulders. Ichiru nodded. "The president is always saying the same crap you are about coexistence, but the purebloods power is equivalent to the one we'd need for the weapons and there is no other way we could obtain it. And without those weapons we cant be hunters, they're what make us who are. If I'm not mistaken, you too have a weapon that belongs to the Kriyu line?"
   "Yes... the Bloody Rose..." Ichiru answered.
   "Right, so you have to understand the connection. When you hold it, it feels hollow, yeah?" Ichiru nodded. "Above all, were in a sticky situation here. Purebloods and vampires of all kinds and their human companions are trying to break in headquarters and take us and our information. Do you really want to let that happen? You and that brother of yours have been trying to prove you're not our enemy... and this seems like something that could prove it."

There was a light tap on the door, it opened revealing Zero and Yori. "Yuki!" She ran in and gave Yuki a hug. Yuki accepted it, hesitantly.
   "Ichiru, come." Zero said. Ichiru passed the two girls and bowed to the group.
   "Yori! Its dangerous outside right now!" Yuki said.
   "Its safe here isnt it?" Yori pulled away, keeping her hands on Yukis shoulders. "Even if something were to happen here, its already dangerous out there, so theres no difference."

Zero looked over at Yuki and noticed her face turn apologetic. He turned away and left, following his brother behind.

°•°•°

Later, Yuki was sent down to where Zero and Ichiru were staying. It was a cell with a bed, a few chairs, and a sink with a rusted mirror above it. Ichiru sat on one chair and Zero sat on the other next to him. They mostly sat in silence until they heard two pairs of footsteps clack toward them. Yuki appeared from the corner. "Is there a problem?" Zero asked.
   "I'm here to tell you that the preparations for the furnace are going well, and we should be ready soon." Yuki said. She noticed his face not give away any emotion, yet somehow whenever she met his eyes he looked sad. It pissed her off. "You... are you serious about this?" Yuki asked.
   "Of course." Zero answered.
   "To think you of all people would ask such a thing." Ichiru smiled. "Should I explain everything from the beginning, I wonder."
   "No. I'm fine. You have a visitor anyway." Yuki gestured her hand to the hall and a man stepped out from the corner. It was the host of the Masquerade party, and family friend of the Kriyus, Isaya.
   "I've come to fulfill a promise." He said.

Zero looked over at Ichiru and suddenly his brother was gone. He stood up. "What is this?!" Zero asked. Suddenly he felt a burning sensation on his wrists and he looked down, anti-vampire handcuffed had been locked around his wrists.
   "I'm sorry, Zero." Ichiru said. Zero looked up at his brothers face. "You were never going to be the parent."
   "No!" Yuki raised the gate and Isaya grabbed Zero by the arm. All of Zero strength was suddenly withered and he felt tired. "Stop it! This isnt your choice to make, Ichiru!"

Yuki and Zero made eye contact as he was dragged by. She looked away, for some reason she became irritated at his painful look. Yuki closed the gate and looked over Ichiru, his face in clear distress as he slumped back onto his chair. Before Yuki could leave Ichiru called for her, she turned to look at him. "Go get what he took from you and tell him how you feel."
   "tch." Yuki turned away and followed Zero and Isaya outside. She had no idea what Ichiru meant, but it pissed her off. How she felt? What was she supposed to be feeling? She looked up as she entered outside. She saw Isaya slam a combative Zero to the ground. Her foot lunged forward. What was she doing? Why did she care? Two purebloods died today, she should be happy... right?

"Isaya! Please! Let me go!" Zero yelled out. "I have to stay a vampire! I need to be the parent! I've gone too far already so just- " Isaya put his hand on Zeros forehead as he dug his knee into Zeros back. "I cant let Ichiru sacrifice himself for me again! Let go Isaya!"
   "I must fulfill the promise I made. I'm sorry, young son of the Kriyus." Isaya said.
   "That's all anyone ever does for me! Is sacrifice themselves for my happiness! How is that supposed to make me happy?!"

Yuki could understand what he was saying. She felt the same, Kaname had sacrificed his life for hers, and she was supposed to be greatful? And now she couldnt even remember what had happened, and he told her that she was better off not knowing. Better off?!

'Go get what he took from you'

That was it wasnt it? She didnt lose her memory, it was stolen. And she had a feeling that the man being held down on the ground was responsible. Yuki suddenly picked up speed and carried her fist to the air, punching Isaya off of Zero. She looked down at Zero who had flipped himself over. "You're Zero!" Yuki shouted. "The man I swore to protect, and who refuses my protection!"
Zero stared up at her with wide eyes. "You... remembered?"
   "You seem to be at a loss of what to do." Yuki said.  "I only remember what I was missing..." Yuki eyes na "You were the one, werent you? Who took my memory."