Exclusively Average

Looking up at a pale ceiling led me to make more life realizations than school ever would. I thought about humanity and the ridiculousness of our society until I wanted to cry. I felt that I was a fairly insane person, but I was assured with the fact that I wasn't alone. I've always felt that as painfully similar individuals, we truthfully share akin bizarre thoughts. Each person exposes themselves only with the protection of their own room of course. A safe haven where they can stare at the ceiling, whatever color it may be. Yet, school wasn't a total drag. Without Cork to complain to, I never would've survived my family. Ah, the famous or infamous Cork, depending on your opinion of the lad. The way our friendship began wasn't exactly typical. Bearing a monstrous bucket of water, I walked down the seemingly empty hallway. Miss Falleye had sent me on a strenuous errand. Ofcourse I was the best choice to retrieve water for the advancement of my entire class's career in paper mache. My vision was utterly blocked by the huge water bucket, when my foot catught on to something. I went flying directly into the creature that produced the shoelace. We both tumbled to the floor, in the midst of water being splashed virtually everywhere. When I had finally braced myself enough to crack open my eyelids, I found myself directly on top of said creature. Naturally, I was about to start yelling at him, defensively, but then I looked up. I caught a glance of those glistening crystal blue eyes.

"The eyes are the windows to the soul," I burst.

I always thought that saying something like that would be utterly cliche. Whereas in this situation it was simply bizarre. The creature with the untied shoelace and the awkward-producing eyes laughed nervously. I expected him to run away. Instead he reached down to grab his glasses which had apparently fallen off in the process of our collision.

"Gosh-darn, my spectacles," he chuckled.

I laughed a little too loud then leaned down to absorb some of the water with my sweatshirt sleeve.

"Well if what you said is true, then I guess my windows are a bit foggy," he explained, placing the glasses onto his face.

"Don't worry, I jumped in, I'm not usually this philosophically cliche or fricken creepy for that matter." "Don't worry I don't usually say spectacles," he grinned, bending down to help me. I laughed, "I haven't seen you around before---- "I'm new, he interrupted quickly then stared down at his green sneakers, Um I just moved to town, yeah...lucky me I get to start at a new school in the smack middle of a semester."

He continued nervously laughing until I realized I was staring directly into his soul again.

"Woops sorry, Um where are you from? Do you move around a lot?" "Yeah, he responded slowly, ya know the 'rents gotta travel for work"..., staring at his shoes nearly as intensely as I stared into those eyes of his...Oh they were so bright and blue.... "Cork," he declared, reaching to shake my hand.

To which I gleefully shook and responded, "Piper Conoway..., who has pleasure in making the acquaintance of a boy who shakes hands; I thought those were extinct by now."

He reassumed that monkey grin and explained his need to return to the important duties of geometry. I began brainstorming excuses for Mrs. Falleye, when the bell sounded its usual searing buzz. We'd been talking for that long? What would I ..?, I guess I'd just tell her I----...The world became black as it does many a time for those who are above average in the practice of sheer clumsiness. At least I wouldn't need an excuse for Ms. Falleye. After waking to find myself in the nurse's office and sitting for an extra unnecessary 15 minutes in order to miss french class, I asked her what I'd done this time to knock myself unconscious.

"Well--she began, but was interrupted by a voice from a chair on the other side of the room; "

Just your average collision with a janitor moving a bookcase...-well you collided with the bookcase not the janitor...,he sighed, all in a day's work for Piper Conoway."