She Likes Him Like This

"Rae, you're on the air!" Michael said with a grin.

"Shit!" she put her headset on and adjusted the microphone. "I hope you're all havin' a good day, ya! Here's a great song to take a break," she put on a song by The Smiths. She exhaled and fell back into her chair. The song was more a break for her, not for the listeners. She needed to think. She missed her friends. She missed Chloe and she missed Archie, she missed Finn most of all. Hell, she even missed Chop!

Rae had moved to London and she'd already been here for a month. Her mum had found a house she actually could afford, and it was actually in a nice area. Rae's little sister had gotten into a kindergarten and Karim had gotten a job as something Rae didn't know what to call, but he was positioned in road working. Rae had gotten a job as a radio-host, hosting a show for alternative music and classic rock – which suited her perfectly. Michael was the guy who was responsible to make sure her equipment worked and that the records she wanted was there and in order.

She was back on air and started by saying, "So, guys, you know how much I love Weezer, right? Well, here's a song that I really like and it means a lot to me. It's dedicated to someone very special." She put on 'Why Bother?' and she closed her eyes, wishing the lyrics didn't hit her the way they did. She thought of Finn, who she actually dedicated the song to, but he'd never know. She missed how his smile had warmed her heart and how fit his body was. She missed how bad he was with words and how he'd written them on her skin. But she knew she wasn't good enough for him. She'd never be pretty enough for him. He deserved better. That's why she left things the way they were. She rolled her eyes back into her head and let out a deep sigh. She felt sick to her stomach from missing him so much.

Rae got home late that night. She'd taken the underground to get home, but it was still much walking to get there. She closed the door to their house and slammed her back against it. She let herself slip down to the floor and she sat there, with her bag in her lap, just feeling miserable.

"Rae? Is that you?" her mother called from the living room.

Bloody hell, what does she want? I just got home, for God's sake!

"Yes, mum, what is it?" Rae answered.

"Chloe called for ya! She wanted to know if you wanted company tomorrow, since it's your day off and all."

Rae had completely forgotten. She was so consumed in her work that she'd forgotten her day off.

"It's not like she can spend the night here anyway, so why bother?" Rae said.

"About that..." her mum said and got up on her feet and walked up the stairs. "Come along, Rae. I've got somethin' to show ya." Rae walked behind her mum, frustrated that this was going on without her knowing anything about what it could be. Her mum opened the door to Rae's room and stepped out of the way so Rae could see. Rae took a few steps into her room before she had to turn around to look at her mum.

"Mum, what have you done? This is unbelievable!" Rae exclaimed.

"I thought it'd be good for ya to have Chloe over here once in a while, so I put in this extra bed for ya!" her mum smiled brightly. Rae completely flipped. She couldn't believe what she just heard.

"Mum, does this mean Chloe can stay for a few days, you know, if she's got time for it?"

"Yes, Rae! I think you need a friend every once in a while and it doesn't seem like you have any here, so Chloe is more than welcome!" she trotted down the hall and disappeared. "She called for ya when ya were at work, Rae! Ring her back!" she yelled from downstairs.

Rae sat down on her bed and looked at the phone. She knew Chloe was there, but she didn't know how to tell her the news. She didn't know if Chloe would be as excited as she was. She dialed her number and had to wait a few rings before someone answered. Her mum answered, but Chloe came to phone quite quickly.