Chapter Eight

The copper church bell rang the Doxology from the brick belltower of the Methodist Church, the sound echoing off Irvington's cobblestone streets. Churchgoers poured out of the building like milk from a jug, the women donning their feathered felt hats and the men straightening stiff collars that poked their clean-shaven necks.

Everyone was dressed in their finest Sunday array, and even Jack wore her one fine dress, a plain blue dress that she had hemmed and mended over the years to match the changes in style. She had been all too relieved when the change in women's roles thanks to the war had also dictated a similar change in fashion, allowing her to shorten her hemline and gain greater range of motion.

Jack stood up at the end of the oaken pew reserved for the Walker family. At the end of the row, Mayor Oliver Walker and his wife Anita, Jack's sister, filed into the aisle, followed by Dr. Benjamin and Corrie, who each took Christina's arm and helped her limp out of the church. Jack followed them as the sunlight filtered through the stained glass windows and cast colorful shadows on her tanned skin. Titus Fletcher and Hannah followed behind Jack, and the family procession exited the church.

Jack's foot drummed on the church floor as the mayor dallied in the doorway, talking to his constituents and she longed to escape the square brick building and take a lark through the meadows where the birds were bound to sing. Jack wondered for a moment if she would encounter Donovan, the stranger who had surprised her the day before, but Jack knew he was probably only visiting for a few days, and she had no need of the trouble he invited. She did wish that the Bookers attended the same church as she so she could catch another glimpse of the man, but the churches in Irvington were still segregated and she had no doubt that if the Bookers and Donovan had come to the Methodist church, they would have ignited a scandal all through Irvington.

"God bless," Reverend Smalley said, his voice piercing through Jack's reflections. "Have a wonderful Sunday, Mayor Walker." He greeted Dr. Benjamin and his wife as well as the recovered invalid with a generous smile and offered Jack a hearty handshake. "Good day, Miss Harrison. God bless you!"

"Good day, Reverend Smalley! And I must admit, I quite enjoyed your sermon," Jack said, winking at the aged minister.

The tips of the Reverend's ears pinkened as they both recalled the way he had slammed his hand against the lectern, calling for greater sacrifice and understanding during war time and demanding that they cooperate in unity instead of falling apart in division. Though often given to fervent preaching, this had been one of his most zealous sermons to date and Jack had loved every moment of it.

"Well, I'm afraid I can't be doing so every Sunday, Miss Harrison, or I'll be kicked out of church," he joked, returning the wink and greeting Hannah and Titus behind her. Jack followed Corrie, Dr. Benjamin, and Christina into the open air outside of the church where the morning sun already radiated its heavy heat. Churchgoers chatted in the streets, some of the women fanning themselves and a few of the younger men slinging their jackets over their arms.

Oliver Walker turned towards his daughters with a pompous sniff of his upturned nose and bid them a quick goodbye. He detested being seen with the likes of her, and he and his wife were quick to make their exit. Anita didn't even spare her sister a backwards glance, but Jack was too used to being shunned to let it ruin the glorious day she was itching to enjoy.

"Are you joining us for dinner?" Corrie asked, turning to an aunt with a hand on her forearm. Her red hair glinted in the sun, tied beneath her hat in a pompadour.

"Am I invited?" Jack returned with a sideways grin.

"Always," Hannah interjected from Jack's right, looping her arm through Jack's.