Chapter Thirty Four

Jack's boots slogged through the mud on the road towards the factory as the same thoughts she had entertained for days revolved through her mind. How to stop Max Slate. How to override Oliver's authority. How to save Donovan. How to avenge Titus.

Nothing.

Jack was normally a quick thinker, full of harebrained ideas and crazy schemes, but all of the death in the last few weeks had shaken her. She was afraid, and she hated it.

"Well, you're not much for conversation," Minnie complained from her right. "If I didn't know better, I'd say you were pining after Donovan."

Jack's lips curled, but she couldn't deny it. Though she hadn't let her thoughts rest on Donovan too much in the last few days since the funeral, he was always in the back of her mind like a premonition. She hadn't spoken to him or seen him since their fight on the day of Titus's murder, and the missing made Jack's heart ache.

"You shouldn't go spreading such nonsense," Jack said with a grunt. "How's Julius? Has Oliver said anything to him?"

Given Jack's and Julius's involvement in the deaths of Titus and Clyde, Jack had expected they would both be brought in for questioning, but nothing had happened. Even Donovan had remained mysteriously untouched which made Jack suspicious. What was Max Slate planning? Or Oliver, for that matter?

"Not a word," Minnie said, shaking her head. "But it would be just like those criminals to pull Julius into this. It's happened before. It's been happening to blacks and Indians for years."

Jack frowned--for all her indignation at Donovan's treatment, she'd barely stopped to consider the fact that this was nothing new for them. They'd been experiencing prejudice and unjust sentencing for years. Perhaps even the Bookers had seen friends or family condemned and punished for crimes they hadn't committed.

"I know. It's just...not right."

Minnie let out a low chuckle. "Lots of things aren't right, Jack. Neither of us can vote. Boys barely old enough to grow beards are dying in France. Black men are shot for voting, for crossing the street, for riding the bus."

The sheer magnitude of injustice in the world overwhelmed Jack, and she couldn't speak for a few minutes. Who was she to think that she could somehow stop the tide, even in the case of just one man?

"They're going to win," Jack murmured. "No matter what I do, they're going to win. They're going to take Soka's land and maybe even kill Donovan, and there's nothing I can do."

"Don't say that, Jack," Minnie said, touching Jack's shoulder as they walked. "Don't give up."

They walked for a few more minutes, and the factory came into view. The last thing Jack wanted to do was face Margaret Hunt who had been coming to work despite the previous events. She watched Jack sometimes, her face pale and her eyes bleary, but she didn't say anything. Jack couldn't speak to her for fear that she would try to tear Margaret apart. She was an accomplice in Titus's death and Jack couldn't stand to look at her.

"Jack, wait a minute," Minnie said, stopping a few feet away. "Donovan asked me not to tell you this, but I'm going to anyways." Jack's heart hammered in her chest, and she froze. No. It was too soon. She turned to face Minnie, but she already knew what her friend would say. "He's signing over the deed this afternoon and giving it to the mayor. That's why he hasn't pressed charges yet."

No. If Donovan was signing over the lease, that meant he had given up. Max Slate would win, Soka and her son overseas would lose their land, and Donovan would have to run to get away with his life.

"He's leaving?" Jack whispered through dry lips.

Minnie nodded, her eyes creased in concern. "As soon as he signs over the deed."