0. | prologue!

( && prologue

( && prologue..! )
❝... all things happen for a reason.❞

ADDALYN

THE MOST VIVID MEMORY Addalyn was of when she was 10, a much simpler time consisting of frilly dresses her mother forced her and her sister into, watching Dora the Explorer and eating so much candy it made her teeth rot just thinking about it. Although most of her memories of her childhood were fuzzy and often out of context, this one seemed fresh, as though it had only happened yesterday.

She remembered sitting next to the fire place in her old house, which could easily be called a mansion, playing some game with her sister as one of their nannies braided her then long hair. Her parents were rarely home, her father always had some important business he was off to do and her mother was probably in her room, writing one of her books. At the time, Addalyn really didn't get why her mother was always in her room typing away at her computer, when she could be outside playing with her daughters. Her parents fought over that a lot, why their mother never paid any attention to their children. Although, really, they fought over everything.

Addalyn could not remember one time their parents began a conversation without ending it in an argument. More often than not, they avoided each other, choosing not to talk to each other at all.

However, this evening, they both were at home. In fact, they were in the dining room, talking to a strange man who had arrived a few hours earlier. Addalyn wasn't dumb. She understood what was happening. She had overheard her parents talk about it a lot, about separating. She never told her sister, partly because she wanted her parents to admit it themselves, and also because she didn't want to hurt her sister.

While Allison was in fact the older one, although only by a few minutes, she was a lot more sensitive. She was often called a cry baby at school, and while Addalyn tried to defend her as much as she could, it didn't erase the fact that she was sensitive. One time, their parents did bring up their separation, but Allison didn't even wait a second before tears sprung to her eyes. They didn't bring it up after that point.

Addalyn wasn't concerned about her parents splitting up though. She was pretty happy about it, maybe she might finally be able to spend more time with at least one of them. She was more concerned about what it meant for her and her sister. They had one girl in her class who had divorced parents. Her parents had divorced when she was 5, and she hadn't seen her siblings since then.

Addalyn couldn't imagine being away from her sister for a day, being away from her for her entire life was unthinkable.

Nevertheless, the day did come.

The only way Addalyn could describe it as was abrupt. Their parents sat them down, told them they were splitting up, the girls were probably not going to see each other ever again and were on their merry way.