Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen 

Ren drove Eden home while Arlette, Tansy and Ida Mae made their way to the Gimbles' house. Anne met them on the front porch, her eyes red from crying. 

"The police say they can't classify her as a missing person yet, because we haven't been able to reach all her friends," she told them. "And she's too old for an Amber Alert, and we don't know that she's been kidnapped. I just want them to do something right now-I can't take this waiting." 

"When did you notice she was gone?" Ida Mae asked. 

"She didn't come home from school, and I thought she must have gone home with Tracey. She does that sometimes-Tracey's the only one who knows she's pregnant, so she spends a lot of time there. But then I got an automated call from the high school, saying she'd missed all her classes. I called Tracey's house to talk to Darcy about skipping school, and Tracey said she hadn't seen Darcy today at all." 

"Does she take the bus to school?" Arlette asked. 

"She rides with friends, or she drives. They take turns carpooling." 

Ida Mae motioned toward the house. "Let's go inside, Anne. It's getting cold out here." 

"I'm sorry-I wasn't thinking. Please, come in." 

The ladies redistributed themselves in the Gimbles' living room. "The police say they'll send some cars around tonight to see what they can find, and tomorrow, if she hasn't shown up, they'll launch a fullscale investigation," Anne said. "I know she's old enough to take care of herself, but she's still my baby, you know?" 

"We do know," Tansy said, patting Anne's hand. 

The phone rang a moment later, and Anne jumped for it. "Hello?" she said. "Is that you, Darcy?" 

She listened for a moment and her face fell. "No. Really?" She pressed her fingertips to her forehead. "Me either. Well, okay, and you do the same." 

She resumed her seat. "That was Grant Markham, Paul's father. Paul is Darcy's boyfriend. Apparently, he's missing too."  

Ida Mae opened her eyes. She'd only meant to close them for a minute, but now sunlight streamed into the Gimbles' living room and she had a crook in her neck from slumping down in the sofa. A glance around told her that Arlette and Tansy were in much the same state. Anne stood at the window, her fist clenching a panel of curtain. 

"I'm sorry," she said without turning. "I shouldn't have kept you so late. It was selfish of me." 

"You needed us here," Ida Mae said, remembering Anne's violent sobs of the night before after receiving the Markham's phone call. "It wasn't selfish at all." 

"I'd hoped she was over at his house," Anne said. "At least then I'd know where she was." 

Arlette and Tansy began to stir at the sound of voices. "What time is it?" Arlette asked. 

"It's seven o'clock," Anne told her. 

"I have to say, for an antique, this couch is pretty comfortable," Arlette said, coming to her feet. She stretched, reminding Ida Mae of a cat. "I don't suppose there's been any word?" 

"No, not yet," Anne said. 

"Has anyone told the sheriff that the children are probably together?" Tansy asked. 

"Grant Markham said he'd call them right after he got off the phone with me." Anne turned from the window. "I owe you ladies a nice breakfast." 

"Oh, we couldn't put you out," Tansy said, but Anne held up a hand.