Prologue - Part II

I ran into the street, getting hit being the least of my worries. Who would care? I would be able to join her. Through tears that burned, and while I focused my attention on her, I only vaguely saw cars screeching to a halt inches away from me, and at this, I glanced up. Some even had the nerve to begin honking.

        "Maggie? Maggie, wake up, Maggie. . . wake up!"

        She didn't move. I mean, she didn't move her chest to indicate breathing, her eyes didn't twitch at all to indicate consciousness, nothing.

        "Maggie! Come on, you're fine! Just a few scrapes. . . maybe a couple of broken bones, no big deal!"

        Let's just say she had a little more than broken bones. As in I didn't recognize my own daughter.

        "Maggie, stop pulling my leg! We'll go get you a new ice cream cone, and. . . and we'll go down to the park, and you can go down the slide."

        I leaned in closer, "I know how much you love the slide. . ."

        And finally, those burning tears started falling.

        "You just gotta get up now. . ."

        And I fell on her forehead bawling, as if she was going to support me.

        "Maggie, I'm so sorry."

        I looked up at the sky, gasping and blinking in order to see clearly. I thought that the sky would've turned gray, but it remained blue.

        "HERE. Take mine!"  I screamed at the top of my lungs, to that blue sky. I was referring to life, and talking to God. More like yelling at. A god that lets little girls get killed. That is, if he existed, but he doesn't. He wouldn't let that happen.