marry me? - [🌈]___❁ ゚୭̥•

aH I actually really like this one, so enjoy!
Also, I didn't check for spelling errors. Sorry bout it, oops.

cheesy ; fluff

John had been preparing for this for two whole months. Two whole months of scouring every Jared's or Kay's in sight, two months of gazing at rings that just weren't right.

Until that fateful day, when his eyes caught on the simple, yet dazzling ring sitting near the middle, that was nearly invisible due to the much more eye-catching rings around it.

John knew that Alexander would never put up with anything bulky- it would clack against his pen, or his desk while writing, and it would just be a nuisance, no matter how hard he tried to play it off. So, John decided he was going to find something, a band, or at least a simple enough ring to not blind everyone in sight.

He had promptly bought the ring. After the big purchase, and after his bank account was drained to the ground, he nervously slid it into his coat pocket, right before Alexander slid into their room to take his hand.

Yet, when he came home three hours later, he slid the box back to it's place under his socks, deeming that tonight just wasn't the night.

It was okay the first few times, but John began to get nervous that there may never be a right time, as he put it, and that it was just getting ridiculous.

So when he pulled the drawer open one last time, with a face of false courage built up to aid him in this moment, his expression fell.

He dug around a bit. Started out thinking, 'It's too cluttered', before transitioning to, 'This can't be-' as he resorted to sorting through the socks for the second time now.

His face paled as he bit his tongue, a sick feeling arising in his gut. He had invested so much- had waited and waited until the moment was right, and until he built up the courage- all for it to go down the drain.

"Fuck." He muttered out brokenly at last, giving up the search. The socks fell from his hands back into a messy pile, as the man slid the door shut.

It took him a while of pacing back and forth, until he finally sunk down into the bed, with his head in his hands.

•••

Alex had been in a rush that morning, sliding on a random one of John's sweaters, before rolling up the sleeves with expert hands. He had gotten so used to sharing his boyfriend's clothes, they honestly didn't even have respective closets anymore. It was just, theirs.

And somehow, John's clothes just seemed warmer in general. Maybe it was the slight scent of his laundry detergent- which smelt oddly of cinnamon, yet refreshing, like rain. But he knew that couldn't be, because they used the same thing to wash all of their clothes. It was just different, knowing that John had worn this, probably on many occasions. It made Alexander feel important, to be swaddled all day by something that belonged to his lover.

He gazed over to the sleeping man, cuddled up into the lonely bed.

Their week days often looked like this- John fast asleep as Alex slipped out of the door, to arrive at work and try to tap into the endless paperwork he had. It made him feel more exhausted than usual, knowing that he could be surrounded by his boyfriend's arms, rather than walking in the cold morning air. But it was something Alexander just had to live with.

He pulled a jacket over his shoulders, and laced up his shoes. He didn't bother with his hair, since he had his own office anyways. He wouldn't be seeing anyone for at least another three hours.