The Way Things Add Up

He wasn't sure how he was able to do the math problems in his head like that. He just closed his eyes and the numbers found their places, like trained dancers, or like the pieces of a puzzle.

Something about him was different, making math his secret super power. There was just something about numbers that clicked in his head better than anything else. Of course, every gift has its own corresponding curse, his being that he was logical to a fault. All his life, he saw the world in black and white. It either made sense, adding up all the evidence for a clear solution. Or it was simply wrong. He ran into just as many problems with this curse as the ones he solves with his gift.

He didn't understand the point of religion. Why would people put their faith and life into the hands of some all-knowing being(s) when there's no concrete proof they were real? He saw religion, no matter the type, as a story, a tale passed down and written to be shared, but a story nonetheless.

He saw no point in sexual orientation. He's said many times, that love is and will always be love. Whether you love a man, a woman, or both, you still love the same as the people around you.

He also thought it odd that people often get upset over other people's thoughts and opinions. He thought that wanting people to have the same views as others was both wrong, and small-minded. He sees that if we have our own ideas, that is what truly adds up. Having different opinions not only paints our world in different colors, it benefits us all. If we were to all see something the same way, we wouldn't find solutions to our problems, we wouldn't make leaps in technology, we wouldn't be our own selves.

His way of thinking is why he loves his gift of numbers more than the world. No matter what happens, numbers don't lie, equations either work or they don't, and you only have to follow the rules to get solutions.

Numbers don't lie.

Numbers are simple.

Numbers were the only things he could count on.

He didn't know what made himself different in his ability to see numbers in ways others couldn't. What he did know, however, was that despite the curse, his gift is what makes him, him.