11

"He hasn't woken up," Deyja whispered, holding onto Li's shoulder.

He slid his arm around her waist, comforting her. "Give him time."

She looked away sadly. Her eyes landed on Ezeriah, who very disoriented and weak, was being spoon fed.

Ezeriah made a face as she swallowed the syrupy liquid.

"Just a little bit more." Yelun murmured.

She took another gulp of the medicine, gagging as it landed on her taste buds.

"It's... So... Gross." She heaved, taking another spoonful.

"All done," He said, three spoonfuls later.

"Thank you," She told him softly.

If it wasn't for Yelun, she would have never wakened....like Jaxton.

He smiled warmly. "I've always wondered when my first aid and wildlife skills would come into play."

She became all too aware of her stitches. When she landed on the ground, she must have hit a rock slicing the back of her neck.

"Rest." He told her as he handed her a loaded gun.

She nodded.

"I'm going to help Ziof scout this place. I assume before morning gets here, we'll need to move into the mountains. Based on the structure of this range, I'd imagine large caves... Some may have bears. Alas, we'll be hidden."

With that, he walked away, looking for his friend. Ezeriah sat there dumbfounded. Bears?

"Jaxton, come on. Wake up," Deyja caressed his sleeping face.

Ezeriah looked away, meeting Li's eyes. He smiled softly and sat down next to her.

"You doing alright? Cold?" He asked her, taking off his jacket to give to her.

"I'm okay, thank you." She stopped him, and helped him put it back on him. "What about you? I heard you almost drowned?"

He raised a shoulder. "Almost. I'm here, though."

"I'm glad." She held his eyes with honesty. "Again, thank you."

He gave a weary smile.

He looked up at the sky. "It'll be a full moon soon. Have you ever seen one?"

She shook her head. "No, but I'd love to."

"Full moons were always my favorite as a kid. My mom would take us all out to see it. We'd leave the city for a bit. I loved it." He spoke, slowly.

Ezeriah studied him for a moment, noticing a change in him. "You like the outdoors?"

"Yeah," He nodded. "This is easy. I even learned to swim today."

She knew it was a joke, but still her heart squeezed. "Li..."

"I thought I was going to die." He said several seconds later. "I was stuck on the rope of the horse."

Tears welled in Ezeriah's eyes just as his. "I'm so sorry."

She wrapped her arms around him, motherly comforting her friend.

"I made it." Li shrugged, holding onto her arm.

Deyja looked up from her sleeping lover and took a sharp breath. Li, her closest friend was crying. She had heard from Ziof that he almost never came up from the water and if he hadn't have gone in the rope would have anchored him down. It must have traumatized him. She kissed Jaxton and quickly went over to Li.