Chapter Four

*Emberly's POV*
2 MONTHS LATER
Well, I'm mostly healed now. I'm starting physical therapy soon, and I'm not excited. Two weeks after my suicide attempt I was transferred to the ward. Andy wasn't allowed to be my doctor because we were dating, but I still saw him everyday. Dr. Purdy was the head of my care, but I was still angry and miserable. I was trapped there for a month because I refused to talk to anyone. Finally, I let my stubbornness go and opened up, resulting in my discharge. I had to drop all my classes and so I'm planning on taking summer courses online.

Andy has been working since I was in the hospital so it gets lonely around the apartment. CC and Mer are here almost everyday. Jake comes by when he isn't teaching. Even Dr. Purdy and Jinxx stop by when they can. It's nice to get to see them but people can be exhausting.

Andy and I have been working on communication. He goes with me to all my psychiatry appointments and has been nothing but supportive. I'm almost completely back to normal except for the nightmares. Juliet and Pearce are still on the loose. The cops don't have any new leads and I'm losing hope.

My phone vibrates in my lap. I pick it up and scan the message from Andy.

I'm almost home. I love you.

I smile. I set the book I'm reading down and stand up. I'm so stiff and sore it makes me groan. I hobble into the kitchen to refill my drink. Sweet tea. Mmmm. Say what you will about the south, but we have beautiful scenery and sweet tea. I hear the lock click on the door and soon Andy appears.

             "Hello, my love. How was your day?" Andy picks me up, twirling me. I giggle.

            "Pretty boring. CC says hi." I smile as he kisses my forehead. Suddenly, his phone buzzes in his pocket.

            "Hello?" He answers. There's a pause. "This is he." Pause. "Really? You're sure?" Pause. "That's great news." Pause. "What? Now? I think so but that's asking a lot." Pause. "Ok, we'll be there shortly." He hangs up and turns back to me.

           "Who was that?" I ask warily.

           "The detective on your case. They caught Pearce. We need to go down to the station right now." I feel the color drain from my face.

           "Why?" I whisper.

           "They need you to identify him." I nod, realizing my hands are shaking.

*Andy's POV*
The drive to the police station is quiet. Emberly doesn't say a word, even as we are directed to an observation room. The light flickers on and there's 5 men lined up against the back wall. Each hold a number corresponding to their position in line. The detective uses the one way speaker to instruct each man to step forward, then looks to Emberly. She shakes her head at each one until we reach the fifth man.

Pearce has a smug look on his face as his number is called. He steps forward and Emberly begins shaking. She just nods at the detective, tears streaming down her face. He thanks us for our time and walks us out. Emberly is silent the entire ride home and in the elevator as well. She sits heavily on the couch once we're in the apartment.

             "Em, you ok?" I ask carefully.

            "Yeah. Can I have a cup of water?" She asks. I quickly comply.

            "You did great. Hey, you have been going to your checkups right? I mean, because of the reconstruction risks." I push. She just nods. I don't know if she's lying to me, but I decide to trust her. What's the worst some abnormal cells can do anyways?

I snuggle up to her on the couch. She seems more at ease now that two of her attackers are behind bars. Honestly, I feel the same way. I don't think about the trials to come but instead, but on a Batman movie. We spend the rest of the night that way, huddled together lost in the movie.

A/N: HI! I edited the first parts of this story a bit. I'm excited about where this story is going. I hope you enjoyed this chapter even though it's a little short. Comment and vote.