ᴍᴇʟᴏᴅʏ | ᴏᴏᴛᴇɴɢᴜ [ѕ]

ootengu x reader
// romantic

/

The breeze blew peacefully.

Another calm day passes.

Yet, a heavy weight held him down. An uneasy feeling that made him uncomfortable, albeit nothing was happening around him.

What was it? He pondered, until his clear blue eyes landed onto a woman. A woman with hair like silk, dazzling eyes, and a beautiful smile.

What am i thinking?

The pale blonde clenched his fists, face darkening. Such man alike him should not think of such things ; let alone, a woman, of all things and people. Albeit his gaze never seemed to break away from her.

(Y/N).

It's such a beautiful name, for such a beautiful woman. How can I ever deserve anything from her?

She's perfect. And I. . I—

“Ootengu? Are you there?” The mellow and soft voice of Yuki Onna cut off Ootengu's train of thought. He blinked rapidly for a few seconds, before loosening his fists, and grip on his fan. With a meek shake of his head, he looked up at the currently non-floating white haired female who stood before him. “What is it, Yuki?” His gaze quickly turned away, feeling the weight on his shoulders once again. “Something seems to be bothering you, as I saw earlier. Are you alright? Or. . is it her?”

Ootengu could only sigh, both half-dreamily, and nervously. “What else?” He looked to his lap, eyebrows furrowing. “I just can't seem to get this off my chest.” The usual tough and prideful personality was washed out from his nerves.
The soft voiced female sat beside him, legs dangling on the side of the hallway.

“Why don't you tell her?”

How the Tengu dreaded this the most. Telling his beloved how he felt, and the sorrow he would feel after she rejected him. There was a high probability she would, in his mind. Albeit he didn't know if she did or didn't, he went with his gut feeling that the same emotion won't be returned. He was nervous that someone would tell him directly, that she would reject him. That's why he never told anyone, except for Yuki Onna. The reason being, he trusted Yuki more than anyone else. Almost all of his secrets that were kept to himself was told to her. They have been partners in crime for quite some time, and they had grown to be fond of each other, almost like family.

“You know I can't, Yuki.” The blonde replied curtly after a few minutes of silence. A sigh escaped the female's lips; “Then, would you be satisfied with this? Always wondering if she loves you as well?” Ootengu could only stay silent as Yuki spoke, more than usual. “If you aren't, then go tell her, Ootengu.” She abruptly stood up, “I'll be off with Hannya. We're going to see Ryomen and Yasha, so tell me if you did anything when I come back.” Yuki waved him off, before she floated away, her icy aura leaving small snowflakes behind, which melted upon meeting with the sun's heat.

The pale blonde with blue eyes shook his head lightly, before standing from his sitting position. He flew off to where he and his fellow musicians usually met, as to talk about Mannendake's problems, mainly Kaguya, as he was up late at night once again, playing the flute for her.
The flute. It had been a long time since he played, or showed it to anyone else outside their little group of musicians.

Is it with me?

Ootengu's face scrunched up into a serious look as he searched his clothings pockets and such for the instrument. Deeming successful, he took the flute out, staring at it. Deciding to stray away from where his companions usually meet, he flew to a peaceful area, just beside a lake. He then put the instrument to his lips, starting to play. With his eyes closed, he let his usually open raven-feathered wings close. The breeze gently blew, like his instrument's calm melody.

“You play as beautifully as I thought. Like your fellow musicians, but yours hold a sense of serenity, and feels like the meek blow of wind.,” Ootengu came to a halt. He took his flute away from his lips and turned behind him, to see the woman who just spoke. His eyes widened a fraction as he let himself stand. “What brings you here, Miss (Y/N)?” He asked, gazing away from her.

The female sent a smile, it settling on her features. “I was led by your melody,” He wanted to believe it. But it wasn't true. “Ahah! I mean, Minamoto no Hiromasa, Maestro and the others are looking for you. I just happened to see you here.” The pale blonde breathed a sigh before starting to walk— well, more so, fly— to where she stood, although continued past her. “Would you like me to accompany you?”

He could only nod. He heard rustling of fabrics as wooden heels clicked behind him.

They weren't anything more than friends. But, for now, Ootengu was alright with that. He'll just have to be patient.

Soon, i'll be leading you with my melody.

/

fin.

|| turned out differently than i expected as part of it was deleted—