Chapter 17

Emma gasped as they raced through the streets, Jake had a death grip on her arm. The stinging pain, had faded into shock and misery. Julian's face, contorted in pain, looking straight at her. She would do anything to stop him from feeling pain. The curse was working on them. Destroy them. And everyone they love. Suddenly, she felt Jake halt, and she collided into him. He held out his hand, and that's when she noticed the carriage. It was roofless and thankfully was empty. She took his hand absentmindedly and stepped on. The seats were plush and comfortable, and after Jake gave the carriage driver directions to wherever, the carriage took off. But she couldn't help looking back, she even though she saw tufts of familiar blond hair rushing through the crowd. Mark froze, his achingly blue green eyes which achingly resembled her parabatai stared straight into her eyes. She turned away, feeling heart turning cold and heavy with guilt.

***

Cristina stood, awkwardly in her doorway, trying to think of what to say. Julian was lying limply on the couch. Something had gone off in him when Emma left. His mask, the one he carefully crafted whenever in public, (according to Emma) was now slowly turning into reality. The mask took up all of him now. Cold. Stony. Emotionless. Brutal. She sighed. Ruthless. The door burst open. Mark. She hadn't thought of Mark in a long time. They were nearly as hopeless as Emma and Julian. And then there was Keiran. Whatever happened to Kieran. Mark looked disgruntled, he glanced at his statue like brother. His beautiful, mysterious eyes met hers. Emma would laugh or tease her about that. She couldn't take her eyes of him, was the truth. She had hidden all thoughts of him for awhile, afraid of what it would do to her. But there were pressing matters at the moment. She walked over to the white, luxurious couch across from Julian. He was turning more and more into something....dark. A king of shadows. A Lord of Shadows. She blinked away the thoughts, and turned her attention to Mark. Who was still, unfortunately looking at her. He plopped down next to her, turning his gaze to Julian. Her arm brushed against his cool skin, and she shivered, it was like a spark. She shoved that away too.

She cleared her throat to get their attention. Well, technically, Mark seemed to always have his attention on her. It made her heat up. Emma seemed unable t0 not tease her on her relationships. She especially enjoyed beating up Perfect Diego.

"The curse, it's...."

"Destroying. Breaking. Shattering, and killing me. I was aware of that. It's too late now, I'm drowning in it. So is Emma." Julian cringed as he said the word Emma.

"Yes, but the curse, it's changed." Mark spoke up.

"Like when we were in Faerie and the faerie tied that ribbon. Whenever I got too far from you, we were in pain. It's doing the opposite on you two. It burns you when you're too close."

"How do we catch her?" Mark raised his eyebrows at their predicament.

"We pay a visit to the Seelie Queen." Cristina and Mark looked at him. Julian's eyes were like the choppy waves of the ocean, in a dark, deep, storm.