Chapter Ten-Field Trip

Chapter Ten

Field Trip

"Hands up, Jo." Steve reminds me as he continues throwing perfect punch after perfect punch. I obey, biting my cheek to keep in a smartass comment. I continue punching the bag, but make sure my arms are up and my wrists are straight. Everyone had really amped up my training lately. I'm thankful for the distraction. 

It's been a little over a week and I can finally see out of both eyes again since the swelling has gone down. I don't mind the work, but exhaustion's a bitch. Especially when they have me exercising my abilities too. I can now read someone's mind a couple of meters away and influence their emotions to feel what I want. The nights are roughest though. 

Sometimes the only place I can really sleep is the bathtub, but I have to get up before the boys or else they'll start asking questions. They both like to stay in my room. To keep an eye on me I'm sure, but having them in my bed is still too much for me. It's a double-edged sword for me. On the one hand, they give me comfort and make me feel safe. On the other hand, their presence reminds me too much of another. I jump when Steve puts a hand on my shoulder, startling me out of my thoughts. I look at him and he gestures to the door. Nat and Bucky stand there in the doorway.

"What's going on?" I ask, already working on unwrapping my hands as Steve does as well. The three of them grin at me and Natasha hooks a finger at me.

"Get changed and meet us in the garage. We're going on a field trip."

* * * * * * * * * *

"You're actually going to let me do this?" I ask, turning to Steve. He's the one I'm most surprised about.

"We voted." He says a little grumpily. Tony suddenly moves up behind me and slings an arm around my shoulders. Instantly, I step forward and his arm falls away. He recovers instantly, used to my abrasiveness.

"And we won! So, hop on and follow us." He says excitedly. "Oh, and here's this." He passes me a license with my name and picture on it. I hop on my motorcycle with a grin, at least until Steve passes me a red helmet. I put it on when I see his face. There's no way I'll win an argument with him on this right now and I don't have the energy to fight. I start up my bike and grin inside my helmet. Nothing feels the same as a machine like this. I follow Steve and Tony while Bucky is beside me, Natasha brings up the back. After a little while, we arrive at the Central Park Zoo. We park and I set my helmet on my bike.

"When you said field trip I didn't think you meant elementary." I droll. All of them don sunglasses and hats and take me inside. Bucky drapes his metal arm over my shoulder and taps me with his gloved fingers. He's the only one allowed to touch me, other than Natasha.

"We have a theory we'd like to test. Since you've improved enough to affect people's emotions from a slight distance, we thought we'd try it with animals too." He explains as we walk through the gate. My brows furrow as I think about it.

"And I thought of that, by the way." Tony claims and the entire group rolls their eyes. Bucky releases me with a chuckle and Nat winks at me as she points ahead. I follow her finger and see an enclosure straight ahead, Leopards. Natasha and I then lead the group with their heads down towards the animals. We're in luck, there's a leopard on the edge of the tall wall closest to us.

"Alright. So, it's just like in practice. Reach out and try to grasp it." Steve encourages me gently with a hand hovering over the small of my back. His feelings are easy to read and they make me feel guilty. Every time I move away from him a tinge of hurt floats out of him, followed by understanding. He's such a good person and it makes me feel like a shitty one. I nod to him and focus. I stare out at the animal and it suddenly looks up at me, as if it knows already. I reach out my mind like an unseen hand and touch the leopard's.