Chapter 28 - Mess

Evita

I lay back on the chair in the Solarium, staring up into one of the tunnels leading to the surface. It's dark outside, but I'm in a dim corner of the Solarium and I swear if I squint I can see moonlight shining down.

I close my eyes and let my mind drift. Has Dale talked to Leah yet? I've wracked my brain again and again, but I can't think of a way to get past the guards. Not without them hurting too many of us first.

I let myself daydream about escaping, finally making it out, when a thought hits me. What will I do once we're out? I can't go back to Grandfather. The whole city thinks I was part of the shooting, instead of the hero as they once claimed. I'm sure I'd be taken into custody, and Sheer or someone else associated with this place would find me and bring me back.

No, I can't go home.

But where then? My stomach flutters. I could go with them. With Dale, Nadya, Leah, and the others, to where they live outside the city. The thought scares me, being away from everything I've ever known, but it's also thrilling.

Would Dale want me to come?

Thinking about going with them, Dale especially, my breath quickens. I've come to look forward to our mornings in the Solar Room, and often find my mind going to thoughts of him first thing when I wake up, and last before I fall asleep. I think back to that moment in the Solar Room, after our water fight, when we were standing just inches apart.

What would have happened if I hadn't stepped back?

Without warning, someone yanks me off the couch. My eyes fly open and I see Brandt, a smug grin on his face. Didn't Sheer tell him to stay away from me?

"Hey!" I pull my arm back but his grip is tight. The tips of my fingers begin to tingle. Fortunately he didn't grab my fractured arm, still nestled in a sling.

He pulls me toward the door and I fight, but it's no use. The Solarium is empty, and even if it wasn't, no one would dare interfere. Except maybe Dale. But he's not here, and if I don't go with Brandt he'll drag me down the hall.

"Where are we going?"

He doesn't answer. His grin widens. A shiver runs down my spine.

We reach the girls' dorms and head to my wing. I think of how isolated my room is once the heavy door is closed. My heart pounds. He wouldn't dare.

I fight harder but it's no use. My hand is going numb, and I'm afraid I'll have two arms in slings if I resist anymore.

We reach my room. He yanks open the door and shoves me inside. Someone has flung my mattress off the bed frame, the sheets peeking out underneath, a tangled mess.

Sheer stands in the middle of the room. Her shoulders heave with every breath. She holds two pill bottles in her hand, both full. My stomach drops.

She lifts the bottles, her hand shaking. "How could you?"

"I-" I begin. Pain explodes in my skull and I stumble. Brandt returns his hand to his side, the sick grin still on his face. Sheer doesn't rebuke him.

"Do you know how much time you've wasted?" She strides toward me, until she's inches away.

"Trouble-making bitch." She breathes in my face. "Here's what's going to happen. You're going to give Nadya the newest formula." She takes a new pill bottle out of her pocket. "Ellis just finished it this morning."

"You'll keep this bottle on you at all times. Brandt will check it after you get your shot. He'd better find another pill missing each morning." Her mouth twists. "And don't try to get rid of it either. I've instructed the guards to pay close attention to you in the bathrooms and at meals."