Chapter 33 - Lockdown

Dale

The blaring alarm wakes me. Another morning in this place. At least now those mornings are numbered, and in less than a week we'll be out of here for good. It's a nice thought, but I don't dare let the hope rise in my chest. Something could still go wrong.

I get out of bed and head for the showers. It's eerily quiet as I close my dorm room door behind me, and when I turn around and face the hallway my heart leaps into my throat.

Where are all the guys from my block?

The only other two guys in the hallway and I glance around before making eye contact. There should be twenty of us out here. I spin on my heels and head for the cafeteria. Not quite running. Not yet.

"Wait!" One of the guys calls out. I look back. "What about the showers?" Shaking my head, I turn around. If he wants to follow the routine he can be my guest, but I have to know what's going on. I have to make sure Nadya's okay.

When I reach the cafeteria a few other guys are already there. I guess I'm not the only one who skipped the showers. The guards must not have expected this because there are only two in the cafeteria. I step inside and join the forming crowd of test subjects. The guards, hands on hips and chests puffed out, attempt to prod the test subjects into line. Their bravado doesn't fool me. Their legs quiver in their boots.

I scan the crowd, but neither Evita's red or Nadya's shock of blond stand out. Someone jostles me from behind and I stumble, catching myself just before I fall to the ground at the guards' feet. Behind me an older boy calls out, his voice all sharp edges. "Are you going to tell us you just let them go again?" A murmur of agreement passes through the crowd.

One of the guards takes out his taser, raising it in front of him. It's about as effective as holding a leaf above your head to protect yourself from a torrent of rain. He might be able to stop one or two of us before the rest overwhelm him.

Looking around, every test subject in the room has a blue or green dot tattoo on their wrist. No orange. With a shock I remember that Kyle is in the orange group. We never finished our last chess game. It feels like I've swallowed a lead ball.

Nadya is yellow. They kept her last time, when the rest of the yellow group was killed. After what Sheer told me last night I guess now I know why. Sheer also said the pills weren't working. Have they given up? Have they decided that Nadya, too, is expendable? My heartbeat thrashes in my ears.

I scan the faces in the crowd as the energy surges around me. She's not here. My knees feel weak. A boy to my left takes a step closer to one of the guards, his eyes narrowed, mouth twisted. The guard tases him. It's like he lit a fuse, because several other boys charge forward. One takes the taser. Another punches the guard, sending him reeling onto the floor. The crowd pushes forward and I fight to escape the crush of bodies.

Then, at the door, I see her.

Nadya.

She's flanked by Leah and Evita. I sprint to the door and pull her into my arms, letting out a shuddering breath I didn't know I was holding. Her hair is wet and soaks into my t-shirt, but I don't care. I grip her tighter.

From behind me come the sounds of a scuffle. I pull away and turn to look, but can't see much through the mass of bodies, all kicking at what I assume are the guards. Leah runs past us and into the mob. Too late I call her name, but she's gone. I let go of Nadya and turn to hug Evita. At the last second I remember what happened yesterday and drop my arms.

"You're okay," I say instead.

She nods, looking at the crowd behind me. "They only left blues and greens." She glances at Nadya, then at the ground. Blues, and greens, and Nadya.