Contest Entree: ThatSilentDreamer

Theme: Write an alternative ending to “The Last Hope”.

“Ivypool!”

Ivypool heard a yowl before Hawkfrost slashed at her belly. She howled in pain before collapsing to the ground, her belly convulsing. She could feel the blood leaving her system and her vision blurred as a black figure raced past her, finishing off her attacker. Ivypool watched through weary eyes as the dark brown tabby disappeared amongst the bushes.

Someone was nudging her.

Ivypool glanced towards the cat who had driven Hawkfrost away. It was Hollyleaf.

“Ivypool!” she gasped, noticing her wound. Ivypool looked down at it, although it hurt bending. She let out a moan.

“Don’t lose faith yet,” Hollyleaf meowed, nudging her to her paws. “We’re going to get you to Leafpool and-”

Hollyleaf’s voice seemed to trail off as Ivypool followed her back to camp. Her paws staggered and she found it harder and harder to keep her strength up. It felt as though her life were ebbing away from her.

Which it was. Ivypool hissed as the bitter thought traced to her mind.

“We’re almost there,” Hollyleaf mewed hurriedly. Ivypool swallowed as she willed her heavy paws to carry her just a bit further. She didn’t want to lean all of her weight onto Hollyleaf just yet.

As the hollow came to view it began to blur in front of her. She staggered a bit more. Hollyleaf attempted to let her put her weight on her shoulder but she didn’t allow that. Ivypool wanted to walk.

“I’m fine,” she managed to say, regaining her balance. Through the blurriness in her vision she was barely able to detect Hollyleaf’s green eyes staring back at her in dismay.

Hollyleaf nudged her gently. “Come on Ivypool.” The fatal she-cat could hear the plea in the older warrior’s mew. “It’s just a little further.”

Ivypool nodded again as she and Hollyleaf continued. The hollow was inching closer and Ivypool was amazed at how she was able to lift her paws up - they felt as though they would fall down through the entire forest ground. Her stomach felt as if everything inside of it was spilling out (which it probably was) and her lungs were on fire.

Is this what death feels like?

Ivypool shut her eyes as the blood rushed to ears and her heart continued to pound. She barely noticed they were in the hollow when she heard Dovewing’s yowl of dismay.

“Ivypool!” she heard her sister exclaim. Hollyleaf let Ivypool fall down. The pain raced through Ivypool’s stomach and almost all around her, causing a shock reflex. Ivypool yowled again in pain as more cats surrounded her that weren’t still fighting.

“I’ll get Leafpool.” Hollyleaf informed before bounding off. Ivypool strained to watch the cats around her but the pain coming from her belly was all too strong. She yowled again in pain as she let her head fall back.

She heard Dovewing sniffle from beside her. “Ivypool…” she whispered.

Ivypool’s eyes fluttered as she attempted to focus on her sister. “Dovewing? I don’t look that bad do I?”

She heard a mrrow rumble in Dovewing’s throat but could tell it was forced. Terribly forced. Ivypool tried not to cringe. Am I that bad?

“Who did this?” Brambleclaw exclaimed.

“H-Hawkfrost.” Hollyleaf was back. She felt a paw press against her wound and she whimpered at the continous pain coursing through her belly.

Leafpool was silent. Ivypool tried to open her eyes but her vision was spinning again. Why is this happening?