Chapter Thirteen

Even though this place emphasizes academic rigor, the whole school seems excited about the dance. Kary even asks me if I want to get ready with her, but her face falls when I tell her that the team is in charge of set ting up, so I'll be getting ready at school.

"You could get ready here, if you want," I offer, trying to make it up to her.

She shakes her head. "I don't think I'd fit in with your new friends."

I want to tell her that none of the girls on the cheer team fit any of the stereotypes she mentioned on my first day, but before I get the chance, her eyes bug out of her head, and I turn around to see what she's staring at.

Rakesh is right there in front of my locker, smiling broadly. "Did you finish it yet?"

"Finish what?" I ask, feeling completely off guard.

"The book."

It takes me a minute, but then I remember that we haven't had a chance to talk about Frankenstein. I pause, trying to figure out how to say what I think without pissing him off, but then I just decide to be blunt. "For a story written by a woman, I didn't expect him to be such a misogynist asshole!"

Kary snorts beside me, but Rakesh looks like I caught him off guard. "Seriously, Lana?" He says, crinkling his eyebrows.

There's no point sugar-coating it; if Rakesh can't handle me, I'd rather not waste time flirting with him and getting my hopes up. "He basically kills his fiancé, and he never once takes responsibility for his actions."

"But he tries to make amends; he hunts the monster," Rakesh argues.

I snort. "Right. After it's too late to make a difference. If he'd just acknowledged the poor thing as soon as he made him, none of that would have happened."

Kary's watching the two of us like we're playing tennis or something, a strange expression on her face, and I bite my lip. Who gets into a bickering match about books in the middle of the hall? I open my mouth to say something else, but Rakesh beats me to it.

"I love that you aren't afraid to say what you think."

I stare at him, not sure if I heard him correctly, but he's smiling. I glance at Kary, but her face doesn't give anything away, so I turn back to Rakesh. "You do?"

He nods. "Like you said before, what I see is what I get."

The air suddenly crackles with tension and I lick my lips, unsure of what to say next.

We stand there awkwardly for a moment, and then Rakesh takes a small step closer. "Ready for tonight?" He asks. Belatedly, I remember what Janel said about the soccer team selling tickets, and my heart thumps loudly when I realize that means Rakesh will be there setting up with us. And he doesn't mind that I say what I think.

I nod, trying to think of something to say that won't sound totally stupid. Finally, Kary clears her throat, and I remember she's been standing there through the whole weird exchange, and I gesture toward her. "You guys know each other?" I've never seen them around each other, but then again, it's not like the school is that big. I'll probably know everybody by the time I graduate, and I realize my question just made me sound stupid.

Rakesh nods, oblivious to my snarled thoughts, and his easy smile is almost blinding. "What time are you setting up?"

"Right after school," I say, swallowing. I can do this. Just talk to him like a normal person. "You're doing tickets, right?"

"Yup. But we don't have to be here until six thirty, just before everything starts."

My heart falls. So much for that fantasy of spending the afternoon with him. We stand there awkwardly, Kary frozen beside me, and finally, I duck my head. "I guess I'll see you tonight."