Chapter Forty Nine

Note: I know we really have no idea when Voldemort made Nagini a Horcrux, but leaving her alive is a bad idea in case she is, so hence the orders to get rid of her. Also, I don't know if Crouch specifically denied being a Death Eater, but when Harry saw him in the Pensieve, he was certainly claiming innocence about the Longbottom's and I doubt 'well, yeah, I worship Voldemort and am incredibly put out that he's gone but I have nothing to do with an expedition to try and find him' would work very well and when Harry asked Dumbledore if it was a possibility that Crouch was innocent at the time, Dumbledore didn't tell him that he admitted to being a Death Eater (and since he was supposedly dead why not tell him? He explained all about Neville's parents, after all) so that was most likely not a matter of public record. And simply denying trying to find Voldemort would probably be enough for him to claim Crouch abandoned him.

And yeah, the ending of the last chapter was mean. But it was really either that or the Avada Kedavra…

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter.

"Master! I'm being attacked!" Nagini hissed.

Voldemort stiffened. "Attacked? Who would dare-?"

Looks like Fred and Cedric were making their move. Only one thing to do. Harry took a deep breath. Even though he'd already survived death…well, a few times, really, that didn't mean that he was looking forward to sacrificing himself on purpose. Although the fact he was choosing now to try and keep focus off of Cedric and Fred should mean that they'd be protected once he got back, right? That was how it worked before, at any rate. Of course, then he really thought he'd stay dead but it was entirely possible that Voldemort would use the Killing Curse and he'd either stay a Horcrux or stay dead. Oh, who was he kidding? Voldemort had only ever shown himself capable of using the three Unforgiveable Curses around him. Although he might have used something else that one time he was fighting Dumbledore in the Ministry…

"Two boys, Master, they-" Nagini abruptly cut off with a hiss of pain. She was either dead or would be soon.

Quit stalling, Harry mentally ordered himself. Reluctantly, he stepped out from behind his stone shield. "You can't kill me."

"I can try," Voldemort said simply, raising his wand. "Avada Kedavra!"

Harry looked around him idly. He was at King's Cross again. "Why couldn't I be more creative than using a train station as a metaphor for being at a crossroads?" Harry murmured.

"I don't know, but personally I blame your mother," a voice said from behind him. "A true Marauder would never be that unoriginal."

Harry spun around and came face to face with a man who looked very much how he would look in a few years sans the bright green eyes.

"Oh, and you might want to be aware of the fact that you're naked," James Potter said helpfully.

Harry glanced down. So he was. Of course, the moment he became aware of that, he was in robes. Why did he need to be naked in the first place? Honestly.

" 'Original' as far as infantile pranks go, maybe," a girl said. Harry glanced over and saw Lily Potter. "But you never were one for symbolism."

"Can't we just blame your relatives for not believing in creativity and attempting to stifle it in our son?" James implored.

"I refuse to admit a relation to that man," Lily insisted, crossing her arms. "Petunia's just scared and should never, ever under any circumstances EVER have been placed in charge of a magical child. The son…well, he'll probably grow up sooner or later."

"Mum? Dad?" Harry could hardly believe it.

"Who were you expecting? Dumbledore?" James asked with a sardonic smirk. "Hate to break it to you, kid, but he's not quite dead in this timeline yet."