~4~

"HA! I finally found you!" 

Miranda froze! That was the one voice she did NOT want to hear. Because it belonged to Peté!

As she turned her heard, she could see him riding on the horse from the village, and even though he was far away from them, he was fast!

"Run Dakota! RUN!" Miranda yelled.

Her four-legged friend neighed and then started galloping. Dakota's hooves banged against the ground as she ran.

"Mira! Get the hell back here!" Peté shouted at her. "I swear, that you are going to regret this" 

Miranda didn't listen to him. It was like she wasn't even moving. Everything felt numb. She was terrified of the man behind her. She couldn't go back, she just couldn't!

"Come on, Dakota. Please go faster. "She cried. "Please?"

The horse seemed to hear her because she actually ran faster than before. The man from the inn sure was right about his horses. Dakota was fast and strong! Slowly Peté and his horse got further and further away. Miranda turned her head and saw... Nothing.
She again managed to outrun the man. Or at least for now. After a while, Dakota slowed down. She had become tired from all the running. Miranda looked at her companion and smiled.

"You just saved my life, Dakota. Thank you" she whispered. She leaned forward and hugged her. "Can you keep going a little while? We can't have Peté catch up with us, you know." 
Miranda looked behind her again and she still couldn't see him. She knew that Dakota couldn't run at the same speed again, without a break. But she also knew that they had to keep going otherwise he would definitely get to her. She thought for a while and then decided what to do. Since the road was surrounded by forest. They could hide there until Peté passed them.

She told Dakota to turn right and she did. They walked into the forest and found a huge fallen tree. I would have been enough for her to hide there, but a horse could DEFINITELY not stay there. So she kept looking. And then, she found it. It was a small... cave? It looked like a bear cave, so it could be dangerous to go in. Especially with Dakota, but it was their best choice. Miranda got off the horse and dragged her partner along.
She kept her guard very high in case something were to jump out and attack her. But nothing came. The place was empty... Or at least she thought so.
Once they both got inside, Miranda tried to pull some branches over the entrance to make it harder to spot them.
Now they just had to wait and hope Petè wouldn't find them. But just in case she got her bow ready.

Miranda's tail swung from side to side and her cat-ears were standing straight up. She was listening very carefully and heard nothing... until

"Why are you hiding?" A voice asked.

Miranda almost screamed but managed not to. As she turned around she saw... nothing?

"Hey! Up here." A small voice called.

As she looked up her eyes caught the owner of the voice. It was a fairy. Female. She was very small. She was wearing a yellow dress with white pearls. On her head was a crown made out of leaves and tiny yellow flowers. She had black hair, just like Miranda. But the fairy's hair was very long, unlike Miranda's. Her eyes were green and shining. She looked young and filled with energy.

 The fairy flew closer and landed on a rock right next to scared hybrid. "Hi! My name is Rin. What's yours?" She said.

"M-Miranda" She stuttered. "Oh, a-and that's Dakota." She said as she pointed to her horse. 

The small fairy stayed silent for a while before talking again. "hmm... Can I call you Mira? I think it suits you better." Rin laughed.

"Uh, s-sure. I don't mind. Miranda said with hesitation.