III: Isn't Desire Strange?

A/N: Back at it again; hello all and thank you for your lovely comments, once again. If I deviate from the script, then please, do not be alarmed - I'm following the plot of GP, but using some artistic license to write true dialogue.

//

"The Secretary is dead.'"

//

The train carriage was silent. A pin drop could be heard. Benji staggered back slightly, leaning against the nearest wall; his co-worker, Jane, doing the same. Audrey picked at her nails and stares over at Ethan, unsure about how to proceed. She wasn't an IMF agent, therefore, wasn't trained for situations such as these. Watching the group, Ethan smoothly approached the table-center of the room; placing a large pair of headphones onto his head. Silence continued to rage; as Audrey continued to observe Ethan. William moved to stand alongside Audrey, he cocked his-head towards Benji and Jane; the blonde followed his gaze.

"I'm sorry, but, who's this?" He inquired cautiously.

Audrey opened her mouth, ready to reply; she was, however, interrupted by her brother.

"Agent Dunn and Carter."

Turning back to face Audrey, a look of sudden-realization spread across William's features. Mouth open, he gestured between the blonde and her brother. The siblings shared an amused-look. Audrey, a sympathetic smile on her face, reached over; placing a soothing hand on the analysts shoulder. William sighed, rubbing a hand over his tired, slightly-damp face. He sent a small wave over to the two IMF agents.

"William Brandt, chief analyst." William said quietly.

Benji's face scrunched up, obviously confused by William's words. He glanced over to Jane, who shrugged in return.

"Analyst?" He whispered, mostly to himself.

Audrey noticed William blanch-slightly at her brothers mutterings. She rolled her eyes and moved to speak, but just-like before, was rudely interrupted by another source of sound.

All at once, the screens around them whirred to life; illuminating, the light causing Audrey to take a step back. Disturbing images proceeded to fill each screen; an array of news reports and press conferences. One screen in-particular caused Audrey's blood to run cold; her mouth hung open, gaping in horror at the word's being spoken.

"What the hell is this?" She wondered aloud; glancing over to Benji, who simply shrugged.

"Power of the world will finally end, and it is my job to predict the unthinkable. To treat the death of billions as a game. After 20 years of this, I was none the wiser. Until a new question crossed my mind. What happens after the end of the world?"

Ethan grasped a mobile-phone and stepped away from the group, dialing an all-too familiar telephone number. His gaze flitted over to Audrey for a mere-two seconds; watching as she stared up, her blue-eyes wide with horror. The receiver noise-beeped and Ethan brought the mobile closer to his ear.

"Are you sure your line is secured?" He pressed quickly, yet quietly.

The images continued to play; Audrey stepped closer, inspecting the screen, simply unable to look away. On the screen, a man - wearing a rather official-looking uniform - was speaking to a large crowd, his voice-booming through the speakers. The crowd before him cheering and seemingly hanging off every-word. Audrey stole a glance over in Ethan's direction and sighed; she could feel the dread building within her bones. The man speaking was clearly bad news. She returned her attention back to the screen.

"-every two or three million years; some natural catastrophe devastates all life on earth. But life goes on, and the little that remains is made stronger, better. Put simply, world destruction isn't unpleasant... But a necessary part of evolution. What happens then, I wondered? When mankind faces the next end of the world."