I

ADRIAN FELT THE INTENSE need to scream.

He had already had five meetings, closed two business deals and ordered one murder today and it wasn't even twelve o'clock yet. As he headed towards his office, the people in his path immediately stepped aside, some even bowing as they greeted him.

Adrian was already too used to it to pay it any mind and by the time he reached the black, shiny door leading to his office, he almost breathed a sigh of relief. For someone who worked with people so much, he hated dealing with them and his office was the only place he truly had peace of mind.

He nodded briefly at the two men clad in black who guarded the door and they greeted him respectfully, before opening the door for him.
As it closed behind him he was glad for the silence in the room.

'Adrian Ambrosio,' a voice interrupted him,' as I live and breathe.'

His hand had already shot to the holster on his belt and he had been seconds away from shooting when he had recognized the voice. When he turned his head to the left, he scowled at the person in the room.

'I almost shot you,' he said.

The golden-haired man in front of him flashed his teeth at the remark, seeming to be unfazed by the possible bullet that could have hit him. His brown eyes were clear, but sharp as he looked at his friend, the top buttons on his blouse undone. It irked Adrian, but he didn't say anything. Every time he did, it only caused multiple remarks about him being 'uptight' after all.

Rex was one of his few friends and although he was one of the least responsible people Adrian knew, he did respect him. It wasn't easy to climb up in this world, but everything Rex touched always seemed to turn into gold. It was how he had managed to open up and own all the casino's in the country, his influence now reaching far and wide.

'My bad,' Rex said,' I forgot it's probably a bad idea to sneak up on a mafia boss. Should've thought that one through.'

'One of these days I will shoot you,' Adrian scoffed as he walked towards his desk to pour himself a drink.

'Won't be the first time,' Rex shrugged.

'Why do my guards even let you in?' Adrian frowned.

'Because I'm likeable,' Rex smiled widely as he stretched his arms out besides him,' look at me. I'm America's sweetheart.'

'We don't live in America,' Adrian pointed out,' and Tyron and Pearson are highly trained assassins. I don't think you being likeable cuts it.'

'Don't rain on my parade,' Rex said as he waved Adrian's concerns off.

Rex and he were opposites in every way. Where Rex was spontaneous and carefree, Adrian was calculating and cold. From the formal suits he always wore to his office that was completely decorated in black, nothing about him radiated warmth.

'Well anyway,' Rex said,' I didn't come here to get shot, surprisingly, I have an announcement to make.'

'Sir!'

Adrian closed his eyes for a moment as he held his anger in at the continuous amount of people that were disturbing the peace and quiet he so desperately craved. When he opened them again mere seconds later, his cool facade had returned.

'Yes?'

'I wanted to notify you Rex was he-'

'Yes,' Adrian said,' I know. He's standing right here, Cane.'

'Well, well,' Rex grinned,' if it isn't the watchdog from hell.'

'Hey Rex,' Cane smiled as he and Rex both amicably slapped each other on the shoulder.