2- the car

I am a terrible driver.

I am known by first name status at the driver's license company.

I push in the door, and everybody scuttles away, leaving one person left.

She rips in the door, letting out a string of curse words. I hear a "dammit, Jessica! Just do it!" from inside the door.

I'll probably see the humor in this situation in a while, but right now, 'Jessica' looks nervous. She shuffles over to me.

"Hi,-hi,",she says, looking at me and hiding her face in her hair, "I'm Jessica, the girl who"- she looks over at the door with a growl-"was chosen to tell you these news."
I tilt my head and cross my arms, tapping my foot against the floor. Jessica clears her throat.
"I'm afraid that this company has come to the solution that- if you want to try for a drivers license again-you will have to bring your own car."
My jaws fall open in disgust.
"What do you mean? Agh- just because I have, yeah, maybe I do have some limits to what I'm good at or not, but nobody else here has to get their own car. It's DISCRIMINATION, honey."
I snap my fingers and flip my brown curls off my shoulder. To my surprise, she chuckles.
"Except, Hannah, that you have destroyed the last five cars in a row. So get out, get a legally owned car, and  then you might just get your license. Maybe."
She pushes me out the door, and as I walk away, I hear (and see, quite clear) that they are having a party after I leave.
Typical.

I find myself in my apartment with my three cats perched on my lap, eating chips out of a pan and watching "guess the right price". Jessica's message replays in my mind, and I find my (vintage, not old, thank you very much) computer (no, it's not portable, but who has time for that?) on my desk.
After a quick google, I perch myself on a bus to nowhere and take off.
I arrive to what looks like a graveyard for old woman- cars. The sign says :
"Burt's automobiles and scraps. Aware of dog."
I walk past two Trabants and half a Volkswagen before I get to the office.
I'm greeted by nobody.
Literally. This place is empty, with burlap walls (who does that?!) and a counter.
There are no seating places.
I stand there, looking at the door behind the counter waiting for a human being to exit.
Silence.
Until I hear a light growl and a "Yap!"
"Yap!"
I turn around, looking for some kind of sound creator, but as I see only a desert behind that door (and again, the burlap walls), so I turn back around.
When I see a snout.
Perched on the counter.
I look behind it, and there's a rather hefty chihuahua trying to reach up.
I pick it up, letting out a squeal of excitement, when someone walks through the door.
He picks up a gun before I can even blink and shoots it at the wall, missing me by inches.
I look over at it in shock, seeing about twelve more holes in the wall where the bullet hit.
The person who shot is a middle aged man with white hair and the most sour face I have ever seen in my life.
"You tried to steal my dog!" He yelled through his chewing-straw.
"I tried to pet it?!" I said in shock, trying to shake the devil dog off my hand, which it had sunk his teeth into.
The man walks over to where the bullet hit and puts it back in the gun.
"What do you want?!"
"Its a car dealership?! I'm here to by a car!?"
"You're here to steal my dog!"
"Car!"
"Okay fine!"
He walks out of the door, not waiting for me, and leads us to an old, scrawny car.
It says "fifty Bukks."
"It's five hundred for this or get out," the man says.
"It's says fifty bucks." I point to the sign.
"You tried to kill my dog."
"You tried to kill me?!"
"So we're equal. This car or nothing."

I buy it. Of course.
I arrive at the office at nine the next day, with my car (which was towed there), and slammed my keys on the desk.
The receptionist shivers.

Fifteen minutes later, and a nervous teacher is coaching me down a road.
"Left."
I turn, hitting two dogs, a baby and a Segway team.
I send the teacher an angry look, and she keeps still.
I circle out on the freeway.
I look in the sideview mirror.
And a truck drives straight into my car.
I let go of the wheel in shock, and it swings over to the other side of the road.
The car is now dodging other cars coming right at it without my help. It swings from side so side and merely misses a Honda, and a school bus drives up in a sickening speed, forcing the car to go up against the mountainside, and in rolls off, jumping on a huge stone and landing on a train, speeding up, driving the opposite way of the train, until the train ends and the car takes a jump back down to the tracks, where it speeds back onto the highway, and a Mustang drives up to it so that it's pushed off the edge of the road, onto steep mountain wall, and as I'm face down to my death, the car takes a last lurch up the hill, bringing us into safety.
My hands clutched on the steering wheel, I take three deep breaths and lean back into the seat.
The driver instructor, shocked, corrects on the position if her glasses without a blink.
"...So you can keep your head cold. That's good."