For my father

Thank you for laughing with me. Merry Christmas.

  "Good morning, Mrs. Johnson. Paper or plastic?"

  "Paper, dearie. You know how I like being green."

In the mornings, people are rushing all around. Getting to work, bringing children to school, rushing all around. But after then, there's silence. It's when the old people come out.

  "Oh, Mrs. Johnson! is that you?"

  "Mr. Williams! How's your mother?"

  "Dead as a doorknob, I hope.
Heard from your daughter lately?"

  "No. But I did hear she had a dead-born baby, and her marriage hasn't seen the light since then. What does she see with him, anyway?"

  "His money, I assume."

  "With his ways, I mean they'll be gone any moment now.  Would you like to get coffee, Mr. Williams?"

  "Yes, well, that would be lovely."

It's calm for a few hours. Only a barista, or maybe a store clerk, would be a part of this second world right next to ours.

  "Cappuccino, ms. Johnson?"

  "Just black coffee for me."

Silence.

  "Do you remember 1956?"

  "Which part?"

  "When we would play. And the girls would have fun on the swings, while the boys were comparing muscles."

  "Oh, yes. Much different from now a day."

Silence. For a few hours, until everyone returns. Then the buzz and fuzz and cars and trains filled to the brim with people, coming home for work, shopping for food. People. People all around.

Two worlds, separate, yet connected.