Chapter 18: Acute Girl and Obtuse Guy

Dane

It was early Monday morning and opposite to contrary belief that this day was one of the worst days of the week, I think they're the best- primarily because Jacquelyn promised to visit me every Monday morning or afternoon to help me with my math.

Waking up to a brand new week still sucks, but at least I got something to wake up and look forward too.

My head was over cloud nine this morning, and I couldn't sleep last night. Like a little kid on Christmas morning, I kept waking up at hour intervals hoping that it was eight in the morning already.

Even with all this energy skipping through me, I was probably delirious.

The night before, I only got two hours of sleep and that was because I pulled an all night Psych marathon with my brother's new girlfriend, Ashlyn. 

I only did it because the poor girl had a tough first day here. No one properly introduced her to the family and she had to undergo the awkward tension that happened between dad and Mike the first night. She also had to go on a insufferable date with my brother, who still has bitter feelings about their fight.

Mike was pretty pissed when I came back home with Ashlyn after we went shopping, and now I have a pretty good idea why.

Although they were fighting, I should keep my distance away from those two. Mike could easily confuse my generosity and sympathy with some possible form of attraction, and I don't want to give him those vibes.

Ashlyn was his girlfriend and if he wanted me to back off I will.

I won't lie. Ashlyn and I hit it off pretty well when we first got to know each other. We had so much in common it completely blew me away. The other scary part was how she could be Jacquelyn's identical twin.

Their personalities were so similar, but the only difference was that Ashlyn was a little more laid back.

Jacquelyn tends to be a perfectionist and does not accept failure when Ashlyn doesn't care at all. To be honest, Ashlyn would be an amazing person to hang out with. 

It would be great to know little more about her, but I don't want to make Mike jealous and have it come between us. Besides, I couldn't see what Mike would be jealous about. He knows that Jacquelyn and I were dating- I think.

I don't know what happened between us.

It was three days ago when Jacquelyn kissed me, but after that we haven't talked much. Over text it was extremely awkward, and when I tried to call her once we kept it to small talk and arranged these Monday appointments.

One moment I'm excited to see her but the next I'm sick to my stomach and afraid of what might come out of this.

My sleep deprivation might be kicking in already and making up all these ridiculous thoughts.

I better get some pie out from the fridge. If there was going to be any tension between us, the pie should be able to break the ice for a little bit and give me enough room to think of something good to say.

But what do I say after that? 

We could be silent and ignore what happened on Friday as long as we wanted, but it wouldn't get us anywhere. As awkward, embarrassing, and painful it might be, I had to bring it up again. I had to know what was going on.

For the longest time, it has been bouncing between friends and something more. We never had this problem before. It all happened with that kiss during last Homecoming and the problem isn't going away.

Deep down I know in my heart that I want it to be something more, but I don't know if she wants it to be.

She's sending me all these mixed signals. Jacquelyn was the one that kissed me but then she was the one putting the wall between us.