Chapter 1

"You're seriously thinking about writing a book?" Rick snickered as he slapped his friend Alan, playfully on the back.

       "What's so funny about that? I've always wanted to be a writer so why not start now?" Alan replied with a flushed look.

         It was Monday evening and sixteen year old Alan Bridge was walking home from school with his best friend Rick Wickets when the idea of writing a book suddenly popped in Alan's mind.

        "Come on Al, I know you aspire to be a great author someday but writing your own book, now? Especially with all the baggage that school has to offer," Rick stressed. "Perhaps you should think again".

          Alan rolled his eyes and sighed. "Oh, Wickets why do you always have to be so negative?" Just picture it, my book in those long shelves and counters of local bookstores where everyone can read it. Even you!" Alan exclaimed.

         "That'll be amazing for sure!" Rick replied with a forced smile trying not to laugh.

        "You're laughing again," Alan retorted, annoyed. Why can't Rick just be more supportive? It has always been his dream to pursue a career in writing.

       Those wild imaginations that constantly fill up his head along with his profined interest in reading ever since he was four, was practically why he loved it so much anyway, and Rick just wouldn't get that.

       "You know what? Maybe I shouldn't have told you about this in the first place," Alan remarked and stormed further away from Rick.

       "Hey, come on! I was just joking," Rick stuttered and trudged towards him. "Okay." Rick said, putting his hand on Alan's shoulder. "Let's be serious. If you really do plan on writing a book, what would it be about?"

       "Well for starters, I would make a book on-" Alan paused and then realised. He never really thought of it. The genre of the book that he would write on. All his life, he was so engrossed in reading and writing and now when he was asked what would be the title of his first book, Alan was...

       Clueless.

       "I know! I would write about fantasy!" Alan remarked, picturing an adventurous story of enchanted beasts and creatures in his mind. "Wait," he continued.

        "Maybe I should write a romance novel! About how two couples get along together as they struggle to face their hardships in love", Alan added.

         "Or maybe I could-"

         "Hold your horses dude!" Rick interrupted and shook his head disapprovingly. "I don't mean to discourage you but just so you know, all those books that you just mentioned? They have been written before".

         "Your fantasy escapade? Look at Harry Potter. It's technically one of the best selling novels in bookstores even today!" Rick implied. "And your romantic love trilogy? That's Romeo and Juliet," he added, facepalming himself.

      "If you really want to publish a book Al, you would have to work on something that stands out to people! The type of book that draws everyone's attention!"

       Alan looked at Rick and sighed. He was right. No one would want to read a book that had a similar plot and story that they've seen and read before. Nowadays, readers are always on the lookout for something fresh and new that would bombard their imaginations to the limit. Something interesting...

      "This is hard," Alan moaned, scratching his head. Rick chuckled and punched Alan jovially on the shoulder. "No one said it would be easy smartpants."

      "I'm sure by the time you come up with an actual plot for your story, people would be too petrified to read it," Rick jibed jokingly.

       "Petrified?" Alan rephrased and stared at Rick with squinted eyes. "It was a joke, duh?" Rick replied shrugging dismissively.

       "No, Rick that's it! You're a genius!" Alan exclaimed.

       "I am?" Rick asked, confused.

     "Perhaps I should write a horror-flick!" Alan added. "A story that would creep the hell out of someone. A story so daunting that it would make the reader have goosebumps and beg for it to just end as they tremble in fright on each chapter! A story-"

      "Okay, I get it", Rick cut through. "You plan on being the next famous horror-flick author".

       Alan rolled his eyes and patted Rick on the back. "That's beyond the point, silly. What really matters now is the title".

      Rick nodded and smiled. They were almost at home now as they reached the road which split into their own respective neighbourhood.

       "The title of a horror-flick book would have to be catchy," Rick suggested. "A title that would give the shriek as soon as the first page is flipped," Alan continued.

       Abruptly, in the midst of their pondering, a cold, gentle breeze rustled past them, giving them an eerie shiver. "Wow, what was that?" Rick probed, tugging his sleeves over his hands.

       "Alice," Alan said suddenly and Rick stared blankly at him. "What?" he asked.

       "Alice. That would be the title of my story?" Alan added, partially confused on how that name came to him in the first place.

      "I don't know where you got that from, but it sounds good to me!" Rick replied and Alan gave a half smile. Where did he get that from? It was like that particular name just popped in his head out of nowhere.

      "Okay Al!" Rick exclaimed snapping Alan back from his thoughts. "You come up with a plot for this... Alice story, and we'll discuss further about it tomorrow at school. Or you could just call me," he added as they started to split ways back home.

     "Right, bye!" Alan replied and bade farewell to his best friend. "Yes!" he yelled moments later. This was it. He was finally going to write his first book. "I wonder what'll be in store for me once I begin writing? I can't wait to start!" he cried excitedly.

       And he was right. There'll be a lot in store for him. A lot indeed...