Chapter 2

The pencil rolled back and forth the study desk as Alan stared at the blank sheet of paper in front of him.

      It's 2 a.m. and while other teenage sixteen-year-olds were soundly snuggling under their beds, Alan still had not slept. Why? Because he was so busy thinking on the plot for his new book, that's why.

     Alan recalled the first thing he did upon reaching home was, throwing his bag on the sofa and rushing to his room to begin writing drafts for his new story and he hadn't got out since then.

     Aunt Lisa, his only guardian after his parents passed on had called him countless times to get out from his room but then again, Alan wasn't really the obedient child anyway.

     That was why most of his cousins and relatives chose to call him 'the special kid'. "Lisa, I think your nephew is... a bit off," Alan remembered one of his other aunts saying.

      "He's always in his own world," his cousins would brag.

      "You can't blame him. Perhaps it's because of his parents loss," Aunt Lisa would defend him. And that was all she would ever say. Blame his behaviour and antiques on his parents death which sometimes made Alan ponder.

      Maybe she was right...

      The phone on the his bed beeped and Alan snapped back to where he was. Aunt Lisa was probably sound asleep now and Alan didn't want to wake her up. Besides, this is not the first time he shut himself in his room for one whole day anyway. Only this time, it actually was for a valid reason;

       He was going to write his first book.

       He clicked on the head of his pen and started drafting ideas and points. But none of them seemed to have connected with his story's title.

      Alice.

      "How did I get that name in the first place?" Alan thought. It was then another gush of wind burst through his room scrambling all his pens and papers all over the place.

       "What the?! Who didn't close the..." Alan paused as he stared at the locked window in his room. "window?" he added with a slight anxiety in his voice.

      "That's odd", Alan thought. How could a strong wind like that come in and blow all his things away when all the windows in his room were closed in the first place?

       As Alan struggled to find a reasonable explanation, a piece of paper came bristling under his feet.

     At first, Alan didn't even notice the particular piece of white sheet.

    Well, there were so many other papers scattered all around his room now, because of that mysterious wind that barged through his room earlier, so why bother?

      But something made Alan look down. Something made Alan notice it. An eerie sensation that forced him to glance under his feet and look at the particular piece of paper.

      "Pick it up"

      "Who said that?!" Alan probed, jerking back from his seat in shock. No one replied.

      "I must be imagining things again," said Alan as he looked at the paper under him and finally picked it up.

     His eyes widened as he read the words written in boldened ink on the paper. Alice, "The Little Girl".

      "Alice, the little girl? When did I write this?" Alan pondered. He never wrote anything about Alice being a little girl. Or did he?

       It made sense however. A horror-story that revolves around a little girl or perhaps her death?

     "Yes that's it!" Alan exclaimed, his eyes glued to the words on the paper.

     "Alice, the little girl that had a tragic death and seeked revenge," Alan blurted and immediately started writing the first words on his book.

      "Chapter 1"

     But before he could even finish his first paragraph, Alan felt his eyes got heavier and with a tired yawn, he fell asleep on his desk.

      Little did he know, that by the time he did, it was already three in the morning and as Alan fell into deep slumber, his unfinished sentence on his first chapter started to continue on its own accord.

      Thus, it wrote, in blood-red font:

       Chapter 1

       It all began with that accident. The accident that changed her life forever. The accident that changed Alice's life forever...

      She was only nine...

      And so it went on... until an hour had passed and a whole chapter had been written. However, the only question that remained at the end of it was,

      Who wrote it?