01

CHAPTER ONEThe Town With Pep

CHAPTER ONE
The Town With Pep

─ ♠ ─

Our story is about a town, a small town, and the people who live in the town. From a distance, it presents itself like so many other small towns all over the world... Safe. Decent. Innocent. Get closer, though, and you start seeing the shadows underneath. The name of our town is Riverdale. And our story begins, I guess, with what the Blossom twins did this summer with the only Couttet heir. On the Fourth of July, just after dawn, Cassian Couttet alongside Jason and Cheryl Blossom drove out to Sweetwater River for an early morning boat ride.

The next thing we know happened for sure is that Dilton Doiley, who was leading Riverdale's Boy Scout Troop on a bird-watching expedition, came upon Cheryl and Cassian by the river's edge. Riverdale Police dragged Sweetwater River for Jason's body, but never found it. So a week later, the Blossom family buried an empty casket and Jason's death was ruled an accident, as the story that Cheryl told made the rounds. That Cheryl dropped a glove in the water, and Jason and Cassian both reached down to get it and accidentally tipped the boat, Jason panicked, and drowned. As for us, we were still talking about the "July Fourth tragedy" on the last day of summer vacation, when a new mystery rolled into town.

─ ♠ ─

"Are you excited? Nervous?" Kevin Keller asked his best friend Betty Cooper from her bed.

"Both. I haven't seen him all summer." Betty admitted

"Which is why nerves are acceptable, but we agreed, Betty... It's time. You like him, he likes you."

"Well, then why, Kevin, hasn't he ever said or done anything?" Betty inquired pointing her makeup brush at him

"Because Archie's swell, but like most millennial straight guys, he needs to be told what he wants. So tell him, finally." Kevin explained

"Well, we'll see. I mean, it depends. And you shouldn't be talking, When are you going to do something about your fascination with Cassian Couttet ?"

"Touche. Im not even sure if he's gay...Oh, my God!" He yelled looking out the window

"What?"

"Game-changer. Archie got hot! He's got abs now. Six more reasons for you to take that ginger bull by the horns tonight." Kevin pointed out as Betty squeezed into the window next to him.

─ ♠ ─

I was at my locker next to Archie when Reggie came up enthusiastically. I gave a soft smile and shut my locker before leaning against it.

"Bro, you are ready for football," Reggie asked placing his hand on top of the lockers.
"I'm not kidding you, dude. You got ripped."

"It's true Arch. You're looking great." I add on