02

CHAPTER TWO A Touch Of Evil

CHAPTER TWO
A Touch Of Evil

─ ♠ ─

I think many of us, maybe the entire town, had been hoping against hope that somehow Jason Blossom hadn't drowned on July 4th. That we'd come to school Monday morning, and there Jason would be walking with Cass. Or that we'd see him, Cass and Cheryl, in a booth at Pops. But that was before the undeniable, irrevocable fact of his bloated, water-logged body, a corpse with a bullet hole in its forehead, and terrible secrets that could only be revealed by the cold, steel blade of a coroner's autopsy scalpel, or the telltale beating of a guilty heart.

─ ♠ ─

I flipped the last pancake onto a plate as father walked into the kitchen.

"What's for breakfast Cassian?"

"I made pancakes, eggs, and bacon. Just like you wanted." I stated politely.

"Good boy." He said belittling me

I sat down with my plate as he did his. 

"So what's new at school?" He asked.

"Everyone is trying to cope with Jason's death," I replied timidly.

"Really? Well, I heard from Clifford that Jason's body was found on the shore of Sweetwater river last night by the Keller boy."

"Wh-what?" I stuttered out.

"Yeah. He was found with a bullet wound smack in the middle of his forehead. Looks like someone blew his brains out." He chuckled.

I dropped my fork, head spinning. Its official, Jason is truly dead. My worst fear came to life. I jumped up and rushed out of Stormview Manor trying to keep from panicking.

─ ♠ ─

I rushed into school so quickly that I managed to almost run into someone. As I tried to rush away a hand stopped me and pulled me into a hug.

"Yo dude. You okay?" The familiar voice of my ginger friend asked.

"Y-yeah. Still trying to wrap my head around the fact that Jason's truly gone." I respond placing my stuff in my locker.

"I understand Cass. Let's hope it gets easier." Archie said patting my back as I continued to look for my French textbook.

"Hi." A voice said I glanced up to see Jughead Jones.
"Do you think I can use Jason Blossom's death as an excuse to get out of PE? "Sorry, Coach, I'm just too depressed and freaked-out right now to do pull-ups."