Chapter 27: An Invitation

"There's a devil in her. And I swear it'll dance some nights if you're brave enough to take her hand. She's a lovely little thief who takes what she wants. Stealing a glance, then a night, then your heart. Wearing all black, with an angel's smile, and a kiss like unholy water. Everything she ever loved has left her burning, and left her burning. You became a part of her. You carried her, and she left her mark. She took on the things that should have scared her away, and learned to use them to her advantage. What I'm trying to say, is that she's dangerous. The best ones always are. We're attracted to their flames, with our broken wings and our foolish hearts. Loving her was the hell inside of heaven, and the heaven inside of hell. And what she deserves most, is someone willing to go through both. At the end of it all, she was just a girl who thought she stole your heart. Not knowing, you can't steal what's given." ~J. Raymond

Marlene sat on the porch swing outside her home, dragging her feet in the frozen grass. Snow danced like little fairies in the breeze, coating her eyelashes. She shoved her hair behind her ear, looking down at the letter in her lap.

Marlene McKinnon,
I, Albus Dumbledore, would like to extend an invitation for you to join the Order of the Phoenix once your schooling has been completed. Being part of this organization would be dangerous, but it will hopefully lead to a new world without the influence of You-Know-Who. Please speak to me once your break is over to inform me of your answer. Enjoy your holiday.
Cordially,
Albus Dumbledore
As her eyes flicked over the letter, a flood of anticipation and sorrow welled up inside of her. The fact that there was a need for such a society as this brought her much sadness, but the joy from being picked to join eventually surpassed it. She was so engrossed in her letter, that she didn't notice the tall body flopping down beside her. "Marlene, have you been listening to me?" Marlene jumped, and looked up at her brother, and smiled sweetly. "Of course, my dear, dear brother." Marshall crossed his arms and looked at his only sister. "Then what did I say?" Marlene looked away. "Okay, so I wasn't listening." Marshall placed a hand on his sister's shoulder. "You know, I'm really proud of you, sis. At least you're honest. Now, let's go inside. Mum made cake, there's presents, and coffee." They both stood up, and Marshall slung his arm around her shoulder.

"Here, Marlene, this one's for you!" Cati, Marshall's wife, cheerfully handed Marlene a small box. She carefully opened it, then smiled at the gift. It was a patch, one you would put on a jacket, that said: If Found, Return to Marley. And below it, there was a note.
Marley,
I know that we said no gifts, but as your "friend" I thought that this was a great one. Could you help me sew it on my jacket when you get back? Anyway, I miss you already. Hurry back.
Sirius
"Who's it from, Auntie Marley?" Miles, Morgan's only son, and Caroline, Marshall's kid, asked her innocently, eyes wide. "It's from a friend. A very silly friend. That's all." Maggie, Morgan's daughter, cuddled into Marlene's side. "Are you going to marry them?" Marlene laughed softly, patting her niece's head. "Oh no, dear. Definitely not." Mason and Marcus exchanged a glance, then went back to opening presents.

Back at school, Sirius looked at the framed photo on his desk. Marlene had sent it, and it quickly became his favorite present. In it, Sirius shoves Marlene into the lake, and she grabbed him, causing them both to fall. He never tired of watching those moments play out. It showed their entire relationship: on the edge.