Pg. 3: Lie and Wait

The sound of footsteps seems to be so loud in the quiet room. Two sets of heavy feet and one defening pair of high heels enter through the doorway. That is a sound he hasn't heard since before this all began. It isn't practical nor safe for women to wear shoes like that anymore. Who is this woman to wear such a luxury? How have these people survived for so long when they lack the basic ability to move stealthily?

Despite his decision to wait, Derek instinctively holds his breath as if awaiting his doom. He still knows nothing of these people; who they are, what they want, or what they will do to him, but they saved him once so perhaps they will spare him again, even if he refuses to be an experiment.

"Where'd he go?" A man's voice asks. He seems to be speaking more from his nose than with his mouth, giving his voice a high, pinched sound.

Feet shuffle through the room. One set of feet makes it to where Derek lies. "He's over here," another man answers. He carries a thick accent of unknown origin.

"Did he fall off," the woman asks as she moves over to take a look. "Or did he..." She trails off, letting everyone in the room finish her thought.

Derek can see the silhouettes of the three individuals looking down at him. They left the door open to allow light into the room, though they didn't bring the light in with them. He has to let them know he still has a hold of his humanity or they will surely kill him.

"I'm still sane," Derek says quickly. His voice scratches at his throat and it comes out gravelly and strained.

"Thank the gods," the accented man answers. "Let me help you." A large, muscled arm reaches forward.

[Author's Note]

Certain choices will be marked as a "Personality Choice". These choices will start to mold Derek's personality which will both limit and expand certain choices in the future as well as build relationships with other characters throughout the story.

Choose wisely. Derek will naturally act according to the personality you have chosen.

[Story Continued]

This is Derek's first opportunity to show these people who he is and what they can begin to expect from him. He could accept the hand and show that he's willing to work with them or he could try to get up on his own to show that he is independent.

What will Derek do?

**Personality Choice**

1 - Accept the hand // Open-Minded // Derek will work better with people, but he could fall into dangerous ploys and traps

2 - Stand on his own // Independent // Derek will work better on his own, but this could cause strain on relationships with others