Chapter 28

Tobias:

Today's the day.

Today's the day I've been waiting for the entire week. I shouldn't be nervous, but I can't help it when my heart skips a beat at the thought of seeing Tris again.

After being apart for three days, I've been driving myself crazy imagining what it will be like, seeing her again. What if the spark is gone, what if she regrets our marriage?

I feel like I rushed everything. I mean, we've barely been together for a year, and suddenly we're married? It's not exactly the most practical thing in the world.

There's a likely chance she's in over her head and confusing her feelings about me for something more than they actually are. She was probably scared when I asked her to marry me. We're both young and confused and unsure if our feeling are meant to last.

Does she really love me then?

"Four, time to go ya little honeymooner," calls Zeke.

I stand in front of my bathroom mirror, staring in front of my reflection, trying to find some hint of what Tris sees in me. All I see is a pathetic boy who is scared of his father and has killed more people than he's saved.

I turn the faucet on and splash cold water on my face. Zeke comes in and taps twice on the door frame. "You okay, man?" he asks.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm fine, just . . . scared, I guess."

"Do you want to talk about it?"

I almost laugh at that. Zeke may be the closest thing to family I have, but he's everything except sentimental. "To you? No thanks."

"Come on," he pesters. "Try me."

"Okay," I say, giving in. "I guess I'm just confused as to why Tris married me. I mean, we're so young, probably out of our minds. And she deserves someone so much better than me." I pause for a moment, analyzing his expression. I can't quite tell what he's thinking. He looks deep in thought, which I guess is a good sign. "Do you think we made the right choice?"

Zeke crosses his arms by his chest and looks up to me. "I don't know. You guys seem like the perfect match and you obviously love each other, but you are a little too young."

I slowly nod my head and open my mouth to speak. He stops me. "But that doesn't mean that you made a mistake. I mean, you were bound to get married someday, right? Everybody knows that."

"You think so?" I say, a smile creeping onto my face.

"I know so," he replies. "Now stop acting like a baby and get out of here."

I laugh along with him. "Thanks, man."

"No problem. Now seriously, get out. Your wife is waiting."

I smile, grab my suitcase, and head to the door.

"Wait," calls Zeke from behind me.

I turn around, only to find him about a foot from me. "Oh, so you yell at me to get out but now you want me to stay?"

His mouth curls up in a smile. "I just want to know where you're taking her."

"It's a surprise," I say, a huge grin plastered on my face.

I turn back around and walk through the door, closing it behind me, but not before I hear a concerned Zeke shouting, "Have fun."