Prologue

The wind was strong today and the skies held little to no clouds. I stood on the platform facing the ship looming over the Garrison, it sat peacefully but in a few moments it would take its first trip into space and land on Kerberos.
Hopefully...
I quickly shook my head, pushing my hair out of my face and squinted towards the sky to keep tears from flowing. No, no, stop thinking negative thoughts, I thought. But even so, the negativity still lingered and I believed I had every right to be worried.
Kerberos was far and the crew were going to be the first to travel that far into in the Earth's solar system.
"A little worried, (Y/n)," a voice asked behind me.
"Is it that obvious?" I sighed and turned towards the voice.
Katie stood next to me, smiling at the ship with such excitement in her eyes, "To be honest, I am too."
I glanced at her before inhaling a breath. "But what if something goes wrong with the ship or on the planet? What if they run out of supplies or become insane? What if-"
"You have nothing to worry about," Katie held her hand to stop me, "With these three the mission will be successful."
I shifted my gaze down and she placed her hand on my shoulder, "Their pilot was one who was the top of the class and is now a teacher. Two of them are teachers and who've been on more space trips combined. Two of them are scientists who have such a strong ambition to see the mission through. Think of it this way, the Garrison is sending their best and with all their heads combined they're practically unstoppable."
I nodded and rubbed my eyes and laughed, "Sometimes, I forget that we're around the same age," I hugged her tightly.
"Oh my god, (Y/n)! You're choking me! Matt, come get your girlfriend! Let her kill you instead of m- ACK!"
I let her go, chuckling as I do so and turned my gaze to a boy with the same light brown hair as Katie. His glasses reflected the suns light blinding me and Katie but also blinding himself and he somehow tripped over his shoe.
"I sometimes wonder how he got you to become his girlfriend. You're literally a goddess and he's a dweeb." Katie mumbled.
Laughing it off, I hurried towards him, "You okay, Matt?"
Matt stood up, dusting himself off and smiling at the sight of me. "Better than ever, princess!"
Katie made a gagging noise from behind me and I rolled my eyes, fixing his hair so it was presentable. "You didn't brush your hair today, did you?" I frowned.
He chuckled nervously, "I may have been... ahem.. a little over excited about this mission."
"A little is an understatement," I smiled then averted my eyes down.
He saw this and placed his hands on my cheeks lifting my head up to look at him again, "I'll be back before you know it.. but you gotta do something for me."
"What?"
He sighed deeply and in a serious tone, "You have to be ugly all the months that I'm gone."
"What?!" I laughed and pulled away, "Are you serious?"
"Hey don't blame me! I'm not the one with a pretty face! I can't risk people falling in love with you then you might fall in love with them, then I come back and find out I'm single and then-"
I place my lips on the corner of his mouth causing his to stop talking and I pulled away, "You have nothing to worry about, Matthew Holt. My heart belongs to you now and it won't change after the months you are gone."
He smiled and then frowned, "But what about the months after tha-"
"Go say bye to your sister!"
I smiled as he jogged over to Katie and my eyes wondered to the ship. I shuddered at the thought of going into space but also because of the great unknown that lies beyond our solar system. A gust of wind blew pass and I sighed, but even so, the beauty of the ship was extravagant.
I sucked in a breath and turned to regroup with the Holt siblings but immediately ran into a pole. I winced and backed away, "Sorry about that, are you alright?" It said.
"I'm fine. I was just..."
Wait... poles don't talk.
I looked up and my eyes widen, "Shiro!"
Shiro looked down at me and laughed, "I wasn't going to leave without saying goodbye to you!"
I embraced him and laughed, "I'll be rooting for you from here! Stay safe."
Shiro pulled away, "It'll be a little lonely up there without you, but I'm sure you'll do fine down here and I'll see you when I get back." Shiro smiled and then sighed, "Also I wanted to ask a favor."
Tilting my head I hummed softly. Shiro closed his eyes and sighed again, "Can you keep an eye on Adam?" His voice become hush and pained.
"Of course."
Matt ran back to me and Shiro and had a giant smile on his face. His glasses were no where on his head and my jaw dropped, "They fixed your eyes?!"
Matt nodded excitingly but as he was talking about his eyes, Shiro left quietly to talk to Sam. I couldn't help but notice the sadden expression he wore when he was looking at us. I stopped Matt and reached into my pocket, pulling out a gold necklace with a small pale blue crystal at the end.
"Remember that giant blue rock I have?" I laughed softly. Matt nodded and I went on, "It was a gift from my mother to my father when they got married. He said that it was a combination of two crystals and he believed that it's what brought them together." I smiled up at him, "With this, we'll be brought back together too."
     Matt and I had been dating for over a year, closing in on two and I've never been happier. He's the sweetest guy I've ever met and he's not afraid to be himself, the intellectual dork and meme king he is. I've truly grown to love him and I support him as much as I can as he does to me. The stone was a gift of love between my parents and now a part of that gift is with the one I love and I always want Matt to know that.
     He stood there, dumbfounded by the crystal. He looked at it then at me then back again. "(Y/n)... this is- I mean.. are you sure? It's an important object to you I can't just take this and-"
     I nodded, "You're more important to me than you care to believe, Matt." I met his eyes, "Now, you have a moon you have to land on. Good luck, J-SO." I smiled brightly and hugged him tightly, his hair tickling my cheek. I felt my eyes start to water but I ignored that. His hands were warm on my back and he arms wrapped around me as if he was never going to see me again.
     I stood with Katie and waved as Shiro, Matt and Sam disappear into the ship's entrance. Katie and I were ushered off the platform and placed at a safe distance to watch their take off.
The gusts of winds blew harshly but we were still star struck as it took off into the sky and watched as it disappeared deeper into the blue. And just like that they were gone. Katie had placed Matt's glasses on while she stared upward. "They'll be back sooner than you think," she said, smiling.
     I nodded and stared after them, also smiling "Yeah, they will."

-

Thank you for reading! I feel like I should give Matt a little credit for being so awesome and the loving boy he is, so I hope you enjoy and Chapter One will be out soon!♥️
Evalynh