Chapter 1 - Arena

"I hear they're picking another fighter for the Gladiator fights.."
"No way," a hushed voice shook, "The original fighter was defeated, the Champion took him down."
"Who do you think will go?"
The cell was slightly crowded but I sat in the corner of this small metal room with my arms over my knees and my head buried. The door was sealed shut and that was the only entrance and exit to this god forsaken room. Even with me feeling alright, I knew I couldn't get it open. Sleepiness overwhelmed me but heat devoured me and my body with cold shivers. I lifted my head and glanced at them, the people who were talking, but they weren't people. Aliens, the word echoed through my mind and I coughed. I felt their gaze on my and heard one of them slowly come over to me.
Warmth covered my shoulders but I was still cold and hot so it did nothing. I looked up, a blue extraterrestrial being kneeled beside me, placing his ragged cloak on me. "You feel like fire," he stated, his three fingers lightly touching my forehead. I only nodded.
"You are the same as the Champion," he sat down in front of me, "Do you know him?"
Champion. A word that you'd hear ever second of the day. I shook my head, "I can't recall." I felt my eyelids droop, "What does he lo-"
The metal door slid open and everyone's head snapped in that direction. The room flooded with a violet hue and tall armored purple.... aliens walked in. One with a helmet and one with pointy ears and horns along his head. They scanned the room before announcing, "The Gladiator fights are beginning. Any volunteers?"
The one with a helmet stared down at me, "You."
He was about to step up when the blue alien stood blocking me, "She's sick! She wouldn't put on a good fight for you or the Emperor!"
"Still sick, low life? I'm surprised you're still alive," the horned head one sneered. I managed a sneer.
     "Still waiting to get notice by your Emperor, puta?"
He let out a growl and moved on to look at the other prisoners before stopping at a smaller alien, barely in his late teens. "Let's go."
"No!"
The soldiers grabbed his arms and then proceeded to drag him out of the cell, I watched as tears dropped down his skinny face. I looked around, the other prisoners were shaking and fear lit in their eyes. I bit my lip, urging myself to scream.
"STOP!"
I stood up and felt the cloak drop off my shoulders, "I'll go."
The blue alien rested his hand on me but I stared into the soldiers eyes, "It's been a while since I hit something," I tried to sound confident, but the shivers from the fever grew stronger.
The horned head soldier glared down at me before throwing the boy down. I walked towards him and held my hand out to help him up, but it was immediately pulled on by the helmet soldier, "Let's go. If you collapse, we'll just kill you where you lay."
"And if you turn your back for too long," I huffed, "I might just run."
Once we exited the cell, I threw a glance back at the prisoners who all were staring in worry but mostly fear, "I'll be back!" I yelled before the doors shut.
"You really think you'll survive this, in your condition, low-life?" The horned solider mocked, while the helmet one continued to drag me know the seemingly endless hall.
I blew out a breath, keeping my eyes set ahead even though my vision grew blurring with every step. I tried to calm my nerves and keep a steady breath, but I was terrified; I can't fight another human much less an alien from an unknown planet. I closed my eyes and let darkness surround me, my feet being the only support and myself being completely  dragged, my mind wandered back to why I was even here in the first place.
     His dark violet eyes stared down at me as I boarded the ship. I gazed down at him and nodded, "This is the only way to find the truth..."
And because of my stupid determination I was now stuck in the worse place possible.
The soldiers came to a halt and I opened my eyes, my breathing still jagged. We stood in front of a large metal door, cheers could be heard from within and my heart started picking up its rhythm. I'm going to die, was my only thought. The doors flew open and the cheering was roaring. Feet stomped on the floor in a drumming motion and I felt all the blood drain from my face.
"This way," the helmet soldier that was escorting me dragged me over to a small, boxed area. Only he and I entered the room and he shut the door behind him. "There's armor, get changed quickly," he said crossing his arms and staring at me.
"Wow, so straight forward," I mocked, but in my condition I couldn't waste energy in this small room.
There wasn't much to choose from, what was I expecting, I am the losing side. I removed my tattered shirt, leaving only my black jumpsuit on. I pulled out a black body armor and wore it over my jumpsuit, a purple tattered breast plate was attached and I adjusted it, without the black suit, it would've been pretty scandalous. I placed the shoulder plates and the gauntlets on swiftly. The gauntlets ended right at my elbows but with a point. A good weapon for close combat, I thought. Lastly I pulled on the boots, which ended at my knees. I stood up slowly, shaking.
Once the armor was completed, a faint blue light radiated from it. A cool wave of air hit me and I blinked, looking down at my hands, strangely feeling a little better.
"Are you done yet?" The solider hissed.
The soldier guided me out and towards a narrow hall indicating that our only way was forward, looking up, the walls were actually seats and when I took in my surroundings, I would've preferred death.
The area was a big, oval field with small land obstacles that sat on top of a water substance that appeared to be boiling. There was one straight bridge reaching from one end to the other and the other platforms altered their heights, floating up and down or side to side. At the other end of the arena, a figure stood, brandishing his sword. His armor was different then the other soldiers with the colors light purple, blue, black and hints of orange. His helmet covered his face but even from where I was standing, I wouldn't have been able to make out his features.
"There's weapons here. Choose wisely," the horned solider stated. I approached slowly towards the five weapons hanging on the wall. One being a battle axe, tempting really, but in my sick state, not a good idea. A broad sword, which was a little to big for me. Twin blades. A long rod. And a mace.
I went with the twin blades. They were long enough for my stature and seemed razor sharp. I picked them up slowly and placed them in the holders that were resting on my hips. I pulled my hair up and slipped on a black helmet. I was shaking still, but the armor gave off a safety vibe. Slightly grateful, but still terrified, I stepped forward.
I couldn't explain what was keeping me going. The reason why I was suiting up was because of an alien boy who was chosen to fight. I couldn't let him die even if I didn't know him. I glared straight ahead, and I couldn't die because I wouldn't want anyone else in this situation.
Situations. That's what's keeping me going.
The boy's situation, the prisoners situation... Matt's situation.
The roaring drew me back to my senses. I looked towards my opponent that was standing in the middle of the area. The soldiers pushed me forward so I proceeded to walk to the center of the bridge. The warmth of the water beneath the floors surround me and I felt sweat begin to form. Once I reached the center of the bridge, the opponent pulled out his broad sword and pointed towards me and I pulled my sword and pointed it at him.
     He didn't say anything but I could hear my heart beat over the roars from the crowd. I placed both swords in my hands and went into a defense stance.
This is nothing like at the Garrison, I reminded myself, I have to be careful.
     The opponent jumped high and directed his incoming blow at me. I raised my swords to block it but instead of crashing swords he landed on his feet and kicked into my chest.
     I staggered backwards, wincing at the pain. He rushed towards me again and I ducked, sliding my leg under his. He dodged it easily and pointed his sword down at me. I quickly scrambled up and rushed towards the side of the bridge and I jumped.
     I landed on the floating platform which shook under my weight and I stood quickly, my opponent looking up at me and his sword now stuck in the ground. I let out a puff of breath before taking a knee and calming my nerves. My hands were shaking that the clattering noise of my swords touching the floor was deafening.
     Never taking my eyes off my opponent I gathered my strength and jumped onto another platform and back onto the bridge. I ran towards him, swords braced in front of me. He pulled his sword from the ground and prepared to stop my blow but I jumped over him and landed behind him, quickly pivoting my feet and ramming my shoulder into his side.
     He's quite heavier than I anticipated.
     But I pushed him until he staggered back, surprised. I twirled myself and my blades in a fluid motion it almost resembled dancing. He jumped back again and I stopped myself.
     I began to feel lightheaded but I pushed my feet apart and launched towards him and he did the same. Our swords collided and I was close enough to be butting heads with him. His weight versus mine and it was quite obvious who would win. I let go of my blade and with my free hand I grabbed his helmet, yanking it off. That took him by surprise but he regained his focus and kicked me once again.
     I flew away from him and rolled on the floor causing my own helmet to fall off. My hair covering my face as I laid on my side, struggling to get up. Through the strands of my hair, I saw his face. His hair bright like starlight.
     I grabbed one of my swords and scrambled up pointing it at him once again. His yellow eyes staring me down and he went full speed at me.
     I stepped back as he lunged but I wasn't quick enough, he grabbed me by my neck and threw me off the bridge. I could feel the warmth of the boiling substance and I quickly dug my sword into the bridge and holding myself up and catching my breath. Looking down the water was boiling. I hoisted myself up to the edge of the bridge, grunting and shaking but when I looked up, the alien with starlight hair stood, glaring down at me. I frowned, clenching my teeth together.
     "Quite the pitiful sight," he said.
     I didn't respond I just held the edge of the bridge. "I would let go if I were you, just end your pitiful existence." He turned and was about to walk away.
     "Heh, but I... don't... wanna!" I grabbed his ankle and let go of the ledge, causing him to fall and be dragged off the bridge. The crowd gasped as we both fell. He grabbed the ledge of the bridge and looked down at me. "Are you insane?!"
     Holding onto his ankle still I glanced at him and smirked, "Very."
     With both of us dangling above boiling substances, I chuckled softly, "Don't mind me," I placed my hand on his thigh and pulled myself up.
"What do you think you're doing?!" He shouted, his free arm trying to pry my grip off.
"Surviving," I snapped at him.
From his waist I pushed myself off towards my sword that was still embedded in the bridge. Once I had a strong grip I looked over at the alien beside me, he was pulling himself up. I pulled myself up Godspeed and took out my sword. Once my feet were on the platform, I lunges towards his sword and kicked it in the boiling substance. He looked at me and angered filled his face. He lunged.
He tackled me and we rolled fighting for who was on top. He pinned me down and I lifted my leg toward his chest and with all my strength I shoved him over the bridge again.
"Oh my god!" I huffed, my hands resting on my knees as I sat. I staggered up and pointed my blade at him, as he hung once again over the bridge. "Withdraw." I stated as confidently as I could.
He looked up at me, confused. He looked around at the crowd and sighed, "I withdraw."
The crowd let out a gasp or a boo. I place my sword down and held my hand out for him. He examined my hand before frowning and taking it. With all the strength I had left, I pulled him up. Once his feet touched the platform I let go and begin to walk away. "Why didn't you knock me off?" He asked still frowning in my direction.
I peeked over my shoulder and smiled softly, "I'm not sure.."
I fumbled the last words as I collapsed onto my knees, dropping my sword and falling onto my side. I hear the crowd cheering once again but my eyes felt heavy and cold sweat covered my neck. As I closed my eyes, his starlight hair came into view and the dark greeted me once again.

Excuse my cringy writing scenes! But it was fun and I'm still learning how to write them! And thank you for reading One Day Closer, I'm excited to keep this going cause Matt needs some love as well! This chapter and possibly the next will be about (Y/n)'s time on the Galra ship, but why is she there? I guess you gotta wait until Saturday (PST).
     Thank you once again!
Evalynh ♥️