What Does it Take to be Happy?

This morning, my eyelids fluttered open at around 6:00. Yes, what I'm telling you may not be believable, since it is my summer break, but what I'm telling you is correct. This morning, my eyelids simply refused to stay shut for long. Now, you may not believe this either, but I'm actually glad I woke up early this morning. When I sleep in, the morning is just like every other morning. It's the same old dull routine: breathing treatments, wound care, and— if it's one of my nurses that always does this— a heart rate check. I simply do not know why she has to do this all the time. None of the other nurses do it all the time. She must know I'm alive, right? I mean, I'm in an upright position and my eyes are open. Surely, I'm alive! My stomach inflates and deflates like a balloon. Surely, I'm breathing! I guess she just has to check my heart rate "just to make sure." I guess it's her job. I shouldn't be saying this about her. On a more positive note, this morning was somehow different. I don't know how, and I don't know why but when my head turned around this morning and witnessed the daylight rising, making the darkness disappear, I realized just how lucky I am to have a life like this. I could have any other life, but I'm here now. In this very moment, I feel like I am living truly my best life. Yes, sure, there are an abundance of goals I need to accomplish before the end of my life. However, I have an incredibly long time until I die. This morning, my eyelids fluttered open, and it was like I saw the daylight for the first time. My body sunk into my bedsheets, my heart beat freely, and I felt a content feeling. I felt this sense of euphoria wash over me like warm ocean water washes over the shore. I felt truly happy. And I thought, "What if it doesn't take much to be happy? What if all it takes is to wake up in the morning and see the daylight to be happy? What if I don't need a boyfriend/girlfriend (because I'm bi), what if I don't need a ton of money, and what if I don't need to get married or have a family to be happy? What if that's just society's expectations of me to be happy? What if this is all it takes to be truly happy?"

As I wiped the sleep away from my eyes, I finally sat up and told my nurse I was ready to wake up.

I'm sure that this is going to be a fantastic day!