five

CHAPTER THIRTY!
030. the interview

|| HIM AND I ||❝cross my heart, hopeto die, to my loverI'd never lie

|| HIM AND I ||
❝cross my heart, hope
to die, to my lover
I'd never lie. He
said "be true", I
said I'd try.❞

➳➳

LIFE IN DISTRICT 13 was painfully constant. There was a schedule to keep to and years worth of work to be done that the Victors had to take with open arms; the people had been waiting far too long to be disappointed with anything as futile and cruel as grief. With the bombings that rained down on other Districts like a littering of fresh autumn rain, it was far too easy for Thirteen to push all of the torment on them before they even stepped a single muddy foot through the door. It made Finnick sick.

Each morning he would wake up at 7 am and move from his small box-like room to where Lillian was being kept with Prim. His heart broke a little more every time he saw the young girl that didn't know about her sister, and each morning when she would ask where her sister had gotten too in all the chaos without fail. Still, she clung onto Finnick desperately as they walked the daily track towards the cafeteria, and he made sure that by the time it was 7.30 she was sat beside him with Katniss on her other side.

Katniss had taken a liking to the young girl- she saw something within Lillian that made her feel as if the Titan name wasn't dead yet. As much as she didn't want to admit it, Katniss missed the strength she got from Lorna- she missed the way that Lorna made her feel as if it wouldn't be stupid to fight back- and that even when lunacy was waiting for a break in the usual clouds, she wouldn't stop.

How little she actually knew. Then again, people tended to glorify those that they saw as nothing more than corpses waiting to be lowered into scattered ground.

The rations they were given as the three sat down everyday were more than the long term 13 residence. They'd get two scoops of powdered potato instead of one, which in the military like underground District was like being given diamonds instead of glass, and one warm bread roll that they all kept between their cold hands until all of the warmth transferred itself into their red fingers.

Lillian always looked hungry after she finished her food; like he had promised her, Finnick gave her his extra rations to make sure she was well fed and content when he normally dropped her off at the District's school. Then, they would meet up and eat again before Lillian was taken by Prim to sleep.

Today however, seemed different.

They were all there; Katniss, Gale, Beetee, Prim, Haymitch, Lillian-  all of them were sitting on the same wooden table around Finnick as he ate his food and silently grimaced at the watery soup that the cooks had made in gallons. He hated it, mainly because it was a terrible comparison to the fresh food that District Four would get, but also because it was tasteless and reminded him of his own cooking after his mother was killed.