twenty one

CHAPTER FORTY FOUR!
044. Lost and found

||WHEN THEPARTY'S OVER|| ❝tore my shirt tostop you bleedin',but nothin' ever stops you leavin'❞

||WHEN THE
PARTY'S OVER||
❝tore my shirt to
stop you bleedin',
but nothin' ever
stops you leavin'❞

FINNICK AND KATNISS had failed to safely leave the District Thirteen bunker. Boggs had tried quite hard to pull them up to the surface with a sense of calm, but before he could, both Katniss and the boy from Four had sprinted towards the outside world frantically. They'd left the remaining rebels behind without a second thought to find them; their stomachs churned at the thought of what could've happened to Lillian and Evelyn in the time they'd been subjected to Capitol wrath.

As the hollow sound of metal filled his ears, Finnick ran for Lorna's remaining family with everything he had left.

While there were many things of note in the area, the two clung most of all to the lack of corpses decorating the bunker or the upper levels of Thirteen. As morbid at it was, Katniss hoped that the two of them would be sat parallel to the blast doors once they'd been opened; Lillian glued close to Evelyn's chest in a tight embrace that was undoubtedly full of love. It would've replaced their frantic ambition with a sense of ease, and ultimately, dampened a sense of hope that spiralled with each step away from the bunker doors.

They were not underground, so Boggs stupidly lead them to the surface to provide the two Victors with some answers.

The wind suprised Finnick. He'd forgotten how biting the wind was on his sensitive skin, and how quickly it nipped at his fingers and nose in the depths of the winter in his seaside District. In 13 the wind was gentle and the cold air only just about managed to touch the two Victor's skin, which was a change from the roughness of Four. And yet, this fact did nothing to comfort or reward him. He missed the brutality of the wind against his hair and eyes as he scanned the aftermath of the bombings; there was so much brutality in his surroundings, it seemed as if it had been taken directly from the wind, which had become gentle and nurturing in comparison.Then, there was the sun that almost blinded the two when they finally got to the top of the District. It was odd to see any light that wasn't natural; it made both the Victor's eyes sting for the first time in months from something other than tears.

Cressida and her team had met the two on top of the rubble with stage lights in their hands and two large cameras left in black containers by the blonde's feet. They looked guilty - like they'd been caught stealing jewellery from their mother's draws, or broken their father's favourite mug. When the two caught sight of the camera team's concern, and what had enacted it, a sickness engulfed them both rather quickly.

Their frantic search had been momentarily forgotten - replaced with thoughts of the enormous crevice in the ground. The rubble was deep enough for the two to have to stretch to see into it, whilst their breath caught in their throats. Inside the hole wasn't just thousands of white roses, but something more haunting than the entire Hunger Games.