switching back

On your way to the lab you picked Bucky up who was wide awake and staring at you with big, round eyes. The reason was obvious. When you had been sucked back into your body he had been sucked back into his. He had been there for this kiss even if it had only been for a short heartbeat.

"Liked it?" , you asked while carrying Bucky down the aisle. Bucky made a barely audible noise that could have been approving or not. You couldn't say for sure. Bucky seemed to be overwhelmed. You shrugged. Not your problem right now.

You nearly kicked in the door to Banner's lab. He barely managed to keep himself from falling off his chair. You didn't wait for him to recover but directly confronted him with your assumption.

"You could have switched us back the second after you had accidentally switch us, couldn't you?" , you asked. Bucky made a surprised noise.

"No" , said Bruce. He didn't sound very convincing.

Banner blushed.

"Yes, you could. Steve explained the blush thing to me. But you decided against it as soon as you heard me talk so directly about Bucky being in love with Steve" , you continued.

"No!" , Banner's blush increased even further.

"You're lying. Look, I see that you thought you did the right thing and you for sure did! I kissed Steve for you. As a practice for the first real kiss of Bucky and Steve. It worked out quite well. Now, as your goal was reached, you should really switch us back. Bucky is very unreliable if it comes to body hygiene!" , you said. Bucky howled in protest.

"Don't lie" , you told him.

Banner sat on his chair, frozen.

"Hello? Earth to Banner! Switch us back!" , you said, waving your hands in front of Bruce's eyes. Suddenly he started moving.

"I only wanted them to finally admit that they loved each other and this incident seemed the perfect chance! Yes, I could have switched the two of you back instantly. I'm sorry! Wait... how long did you know?" , he sounded suspicious now.

"I didn't know. I never knew. It was wild guessing I did and it seems that I hit the point. Thanks for this.

"I don't think you did something wrong but you could at least have told me what was your plan. I'd have had this shit happen a lot earlier than it did. Now I had to be human for far too long.

"It hasn't been too bad, I have to admit that. I liked it at some parts and it made me understand you humans a bit better, you know. But now I'd very much love to be switched back" , you said. Banner nodded, still with a red face.

"Grab Bucky then and go into this room. I'll switch you" , he said. You did what he told you and carried the angrily hissing Bucky into the little room with the glass windows and sat down on the metal table in the middle of it. You really were looking forward to being a cat again.

"I'll start the progress now!" , yelled Banner and you nodded at him. Then there was this intense light again and once again you were knocked out.

You woke because someone yelled at someone else. Your whole body felt swollen and you felt a strong thirst. You couldn't manage to open your eyes but your ears worked perfectly fine.

"... you will die, Banner! I will take my bloody revenge! What did you think you were doing?"

It was Bucky's voice. This told you that the switching thing had worked and even though you could barely feel your body you now recognized paws and whiskers and pointed ears. You were your awesome self again.

You blacked out again when Banner yelled: "Well, it worked out quite well!"

When you woke the next time it was because something sharp was pushed into your paw. You didn't feel any better and the pressing feeling of something in your paw didn't disappear. It further felt as if someone glued the thing to your paw with some kind of tape.