Chapter 2: The Grief

I don't know how long I have been running but by sunset I was far from my pack. I had been running for so long that when I finally rested I was exhausted. I was alone out here deep in the woods so I shifted back into my human form, it took some deep and intense concentration. When I was standing on my two legs again, I panted heavily, tired from the run I fell to my knees. My hands found themselves grasping the grass, digging my fingers into the dirt, I let out a horrible sob.

I wasn't able to control it but as my tears flooded my face the past 17 years of being treated like total shit for no reason by everyone and my family seemed to really do an emotional number on me. My mate had been Trent Grant for some horrible reason and him rejecting me was the kind of pain that I didn't deserve to be feeling. All I could do while I scream and sob my heart out, wondering why?  Why did this have to happen to me? What did I do that warranted this life?  It felt like a stake of bricks was hitting me repeatedly in the chest. I couldn't stop the tears or the twisting pain in my heart. I heard being rejected by your mate hurt but this felt ten times worst, more than I thought it  ever would.

I actually never thought i'd experience this at all. I had held on to the hope that if anyone would accept me it would be my mate. I cried harder, unable to stop the inhumanly noise that erupted from my throat. My wailing sounded similar to the inhumane wailing in my head. I was naked on the forrest floor crying like I was being killed. And I was, the more I accepted this horrible feeling the more it hurt. The more it felt like my heart was ripping out of my bare chest. The scars on my back, the dirt covering my legs, the random bruises littering my brown skin, the tears and snot stains on my face.

This was me, the vulnerable Faith Bell and possibly the end of her as well.

It took me a while to gain some sort of composure but eventually my horrible sounds had tired me out to the point of feeling ready to pass out. I hadn't eaten all day and the weakness I felt was something I wanted to wash off. In the distance I could hear the faint sound of water running.

There had to be a stream or waterfall near by so I sniffled, picked myself off the forrest floor and began making my way towards the sound. It felt like I was dragging my feet, I felt mentally and physically exhausted but the comfort of cool water would help me calm down. My tears had finally stopped and when I made it to the source of the sound.  I was greeted by the glistening of a lake about 5 acres into the woods, there was a wide wall of rock where the stream fed into the lake,  creating a waterfall.

The moonlight glistened against the lakes surface and slowly inched toward the water until my feet met its cool embrace followed by my legs, then my waist, to my stomach and eventually my hot, sweaty and naked body was engulfed in the cold lake water. I treaded the waters and I turned my troubled gaze towards the night sky. The stars littered the infinite black sky and the moon was shaped like a bright white finger nail.

Suddenly the gravity of my current situation weighed on me. I had run away from my home without any clothes or any earthly idea of where I was heading or what I'd do next. I was a rogue wolf now, without a pack and completely independent. Part of me felt free, the abuse I've gone through was a trap and it was clear that wasn't going to change. It was exciting having actually run away.

But it was also impulsive, naive and stupid dangerous. I was defenseless and alone, literally naked. What was I gonna do, I hadn't even turned 18 yet. Not like that would magically make things better.

I closed my eyes before dipping my head under the water letting my head cool off. It tickled my nerves from the contrast in my literal body. The shift had felt burning hot and my head was still pounding and throbbing.

'Hello Faith...' A soft and calm females voice spoke to me, it was clear as hearing it aloud but I was under water and it was in my head.

It took everything in me not to panic but I managed to resurface. I gasped for air, before foolishly calling out,