prologue

Jun-Seo sits quietly in the backseat, his gaze fixed on the bustling scene unfolding outside the car window. As the car moves through the labyrinth of roads, he observes the diverse mix of people: some rushing, their determined faces set on reaching their destinations, while others stroll, taking in the sights and sounds around them. In the distance, skyscrapers reach for the sky, their towering presence contrasting with the more traditional architecture lining the streets. The sun casts a warm glow over the bustling cityscape, reflecting off the windows of shops and restaurants that line the sidewalks. Jun-Seo can hear the hum of conversation and the occasional honk of a car horn, the sounds of urban life that provide a constant soundtrack to his silent observation.

He had only been to the city a handful of times to see his brother and sister, who board at a school there. Despite these occasional visits, he never quite managed to feel wholly comfortable amidst the frantic energy of the bustling street life and the imposing highrise buildings that seemed to loom over him as if in a maze of concrete and glass. The sheer scale of the urban landscape made him acutely aware of his smallness in the midst of it all, amplifying the sense of claustrophobia that crept in whenever he found himself engulfed by the teeming crowds that streamed past him like an unending river of humanity. The city's vibrant heartbeat throbbing around him only served to accentuate his feelings of displacement and unease, leaving him yearning for the quiet familiarity of the countryside that seemed worlds away from this concrete jungle.

Jun-Seo glances over at his older brother, Rin, and his sister, Naeun, who are peacefully sleeping beside him. The decision to move doesn't carry much weight for them as they have already been boarding at a high school in the city since they first entered as freshmen. Jun-Seo, who has been homeschooled his entire life, can't shake off the uneasy feeling as the thought of stepping into a traditional school setting for the first time the following week starts to sink in. The unknown environment and the unfamiliar faces all compound his apprehension, leaving him wondering if he can adapt successfully.

As the family's car pulls up at their new home, they are greeted by a fully furnished, two-story modern structure nestled in a quiet community.

"Wow, mum, how much are they paying you at this new job?" Rin asks jokingly as he pokes fun at her. "None of your business," Do-Yeon chuckles as she playfully tousles his hair. "Alright guys, take your stuff upstairs and get unpacked."

"I call dibs on the biggest room!" Rin declares as he swiftly makes a beeline for the stairs. "Yah! You can't just call dibs!" Naeun complains, going after him.

Do-Yeon lets out a deep sigh as she shakes her head. "Honestly," she utters with a tone of exasperation before shifting her attention to Jun-Seo who is just standing there awkwardly. "Hey, is everything okay hon?"

"Yeah," Jun-Seo mutters. "Don't you wanna head up and pick your room?" Do-Yeon asks warmly, her expression inviting as she gestures towards the staircase leading upstairs.

The brunette's gaze briefly flits towards the stairs before he musters a stiff nod and makes his way upstairs, lugging his suitcase behind him. Do-Yeon stares after him, her brow furrowing slightly, concern evident in the furrow of her brows. She and her partner knew this move would be difficult for the younger, as change has never been an easy thing for him to grasp. She can only hope that Jun-Seo will recognise the value of stepping outside his comfort zone and open himself up to new experiences and challenges.

Jun-Seo pushes the door open to a random bedroom, ignoring Rin and Naeun, whose voices continue to faintly echo in the hallway as they bicker over who gets what room. He takes a step inside, the floorboards creaking softly beneath his weight, and gently eases the door shut behind him with a soft click. Leaning his back against the cool surface, he exhales a deep sigh, feeling the tension slowly dissipate from his body. His eyes roam around the space, tracing the minimalist decor of the room.