Chapter Four - Filtered

Jun-Seo is currently seated at his cluttered desk, surrounded by a myriad of photos spread out in front of him, carefully scrutinising each image to decide which ones to use for his portfolio application to the Creative Programme. Turns out submitting the form was just the first step in getting into the programme, the process also involves presenting a selection of his best work to Mr Jung and two other programme advisors. No pressure or anything.

Naeun is walking past the room when she sees Jun-Seo slumped over on his desk, staring blankly at a photo. Concern, she walks into the room and gently taps the younger's shoulder, prompting him to look up with a slight start. "Hey, everything okay?" She asks.

Jun-Seo sighs softly before responding, "Uh, y-yeah, I'm just trying to figure out what to use for my p-portfolio," as he nervously fiddles with the corner of the photo.

"Well, these are all good, what's the problem?"

"I just- I don't know, something just doesn't feel r-r-right about them,"

"You shouldn't think about this too much, you're a great photographer, Jun, quit putting so much pressure on yourself. You're gonna get this, okay?" Naeun encourages him, gently ruffling his hair. Jun-Seo gives her a faint smile, still unsure but he appreciates her words.

"You shouldn't think about this too much, you're a great photographer, Jun," Naeun reassures him as she places a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Quit putting so much pressure on yourself, you're gonna get this, okay?"

Jun-Seo gives her a faint smile, the corners of his lips barely hinting at a sense of appreciation as uncertainty lingers in his eyes.

"I've gotta go, our study session is starting soon," Naeun says. "Need help setting up? I-I'm not getting much done here anyway, could use the d-d-distraction," Jun-Seo says, acknowledging that his current productivity level could use a boost.

Naeun nods then the pair head downstairs where Rin and Do-Yeon are already setting up for the afternoon.

"Mum, have you seen my flash card?" Rin asks as he rummages through his bag. "No, have you checked upstairs, maybe you left them on your desk," Do-Yeo responds.

"Uh, I kinda borrowed them last night," Naeun confesses sheepishly as she reaches into her bag to retrieve the cards. "Wha- you've got your own cards, what're you doing with mine?" Rin questions, snatching them back.

"I left mine in my locker and needed to review some things last night,"

"Ever heard of asking first?"

"Hey, it is not the time you two, your friends will be here soon so finish setting up," Do-Yeon affirms. The twins exchange mocking looks before going about their business. Do-Yeon can't help but let out a tired sigh, a mix of fondness and exasperation evident as she runs her fingers through her hair in a slightly frustrated motion.

"C-Can I help with anything?" Jun-Seo asks her. "Sure, just help me lay out these snacks neatly on the trays," Do-Yeon says. The younger nods and joins her at the island.

As they work together, Do-Yeon takes a moment to inquire, "So, how's your project going? Making good progress?"

"N-Not really," Jun-Seo sighs. "Well, I'm sure you'll figure it out," Do-Yeon reassures him with a warm smile. "And hey, I'm proud of you for giving this a chance. I know you've had a hard time adjusting to the move and school, so, thank you."

Jun-Seo smiles shyly in response as they carry on with the food preparation in comfortable silence.

The doorbell goes off and Naeun rushes over to check who it is. "They're here," she announces as she opens the door, greeting Chisa, Sieun, Do-Ha and Dong-Geun with a welcoming smile. "Hey, glad you guys could make it."