six daily prayers

The following are the highly recommended Salah - Sunnah or Nafl - that a practicing Muslim is advised to perform daily. These are obviously proven from several Sahih Hadith and Our Prophet (pbuh) diligently instructed his followers to perform these optional prayers. So what you read below are "voluntary" Salah over and above the 5 mandatory Fardh prayer.

On what grounds do we say these will ensure Paradise? Because one cannot follow these voluntary prayer unless, a Muslim is steadfast in Fardh (mandatory) Salah. More so even though someone diligently prays 5 times a day, the (or fear of Allah) would have made him follow other mandatory obligations prescribed by Allah and Prophet Muhammad (pbuh). Given that a Muslim fulfills all his duties sincerely it is assumed that he is of a . With that context it is not possible for the practicing (opportunist) Muslim to ignore the following six voluntary prayers.

1. Tahajjud (praying particularly in the last part of the night; before dawn)The Prophet (pbuh) said: "The best prayer after the obligatory prayer is prayer at night." ~ Muslim 1163.

In another occasion, after Fajr (early morning) prayer The Prophet (pbuh) was interpreting someone's dream and said to the person (pointing to his father),

"Abdullah is a good man. I wish he prayed Tahajjud." Upon hearing the statement from the Prophet, this father never missed Tahajjud prayer in his life.

Tahajjud (or Qiyaam al-Layl) is a highly recommended Sunnah. Many texts from the Quran and Sunnah encourage praying it and speak of its high status and great reward. Tahajjud plays a great role in strengthening one's faith and helping one to do good deeds.

Allah says (Quran 73:1-6) - "O you wrapped in garments (i.e. Prophet Muhammad)! Stand (to pray) all night, except a little. Half of it or a little less than that. Or a little more. And recite the Quran (aloud) in a slow, (pleasant tone and) style. Verily, We shall send down to you a weighty Word (i.e. obligations, laws). Verily, the rising by night (for Tahajjud prayer) is very hard and most potent and good for governing oneself, and most suitable for (understanding) the Word (of Allah)."

The Prophet (pbuh) said,

"Whoever spends its nights in prayer out of faith and in the hope of reward, he will be forgiven his previous sins." ~ Nasai 22/107

In another narration The Prophet (pbuh) said,

"Our Lord, the Blessed, the Superior, comes every night down on the nearest Heaven to us when the last third of the night remains, saying: "Is there anyone to invoke Me, so that I may respond to invocation? Is there anyone to ask Me, so that I may grant him his request? Is there anyone seeking My forgiveness, so that I may forgive him?" ~ Bukhari 19/26, Tirmidhi 2/299

Thus praying at night, particularly the last part of the night, is most virtuous as it is the time when the prayers are accepted by Allah. One can pray 2 to 13 rakaats, (including Witr).

2. The 12 optional prayer before/after every mandatory SalahThe Prophet (pbuh) said: "Whoever prays twelve rakah during the day and night will have a house built for him in Paradise: 4 rakah before Dhuhr and 2 after it; 2 rakah after Maghrib; 2 rakah after Isha; and 2 rakah before Fajr." ~ Tirmidhi 415

The Prophet (pbuh) said, "A house will be built in paradise for every Muslim who offers 12 rakah of optional salah other than the obligatory salah in day and night, to seek pleasure of Allah." ~ Muslim.

It is narrated that The Prophet (pbuh) never left praying four rakah before Dhuhr and two rakah before Fajr under any circumstances. The Prophet said about the two rakah before the obligatory Fajr prayer, "They are dearer to me than the whole world." ~ Muslim