•c h a p t e r 46•

"Miss me?"

"Miss me?"

He is shocked that I'm here which is good I suppose. It just means he never imagined I'd come back much less in a tank.

"I- Sammy. . ." He looks around at the confused men and then back at me as if deciding how he should act. He turns to the men and tells them something in another language before looking back at me. "Come with me."

I had this whole thing planned from start to finish, considered every possibility except this one; how I feel. For some stupid reason I thought it would be easy to follow him into the building like we had no history. I thought I would be strong enough to walk confidently behind him the way Luca had when he was with Handle but here I am looking at the man I need and I'm glued to my spot.

I look down to see Michael holding onto my pant leg for dear life. "Don't go, Connie. There has to be another way."

His words help me move forward because there is no other way. Not for Luca and not for me. So I shake my leg free and kiss his head.

"I love you Michael. Lock the hatch behind me and guard the tank. I will be back soon." He reaches for me as I slip out of the tank and slide to the ground.

Only once I'm away from the protection of the pink metal do I feel very exposed and vulnerable. Dozens of pairs of eyes are on me, following my every move but more importantly, every set of eyes holds a gun in their arms waiting for me to mess up. I swallow my fear and move towards Eli's waiting form.

When I get close to him, his eyes roam my body slowly and I blush as memories of us resurface.

"You know, I should have killed you years ago." He says casually as he hook my arm in his. "But I'm glad I didn't."

"Me too."

I watch the expressions change from confused to surprised by how well Eli is treating the person who just attacked their base. If I were anyone else I'd be dead but I figure I escaped death so many times already, one more try couldn't hurt.

He lead me to a room that looks less like a torture chamber and more like a study. So far so good. He sits in one chair and gestures for me to take the other.

"I have missed you Sammy and seeing you again is a dream I never thought I'd live to see come true. You are even more beautiful than I remember." His hand covers mine and strokes my skin softly.

I remove my hand from his slowly so as not to offend him. "It is good to see you again old friend."

"Friend? Is that what I was?" He sits back defensively.

"No. You were my first love Eli, but a friend is what you are now." I say definitively. I had years to seek him out if I wanted that life again; now I'm here for another reason completely and he needs to know that.

"You shouldn't be here then. I can not save you in the name of friendship. My men saw what you did to the warehouse so if I do not punish you, they will think me weak." He says more out of duty than actual desire to see me punished.